AV advice

For everything *not* game related.

AV advice

Postby Enigmia » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Curious what AdAware antivirus is. It's currently on my grandparents computer, and while the freshly installed AVG doesn't seem to have issues with it, it would be nice to know whether this thing can cause any issues I'm currently just taking for granted.
Enigmia

Re: AV advice

Postby Gravedigger » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:33 pm

AdAware is an anti-adware program. Stops popups, prevents certain types of malware, that sort of thing. The antivirus version is a more robust version of same, designed to also check for and prevent viral infections.

You do have to be careful running two different antivirus programs at the same time, as they can often interfere with one another in subtle, yet fustrating ways. Make sure only one of them is set to active scanning, because if they're both doing it, it'll really hog system resources. Set it so the weekly scans of each are on different days and times, or even set Ad-Aware to on-demand only.

TLDR: It's fine.
Gravedigger

Postby Enigmia » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:49 pm

Glad to hear it. The person who installed it isn't someone I would trust with this kind of thing, but I guess they got lucky in picking something that isn't Norton or McAfee bad. Thank yous!
Enigmia

Postby Palamedes » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:28 am

Norton isn't bad, it's just bad for something you have to pay for. Well, it eats your RAM, yeah. But I use IE, so that's even worse. More like just me being lazy though.
Palamedes

Return to Off Topic Forum