Linux, why? Why do you torture me so?

For everything *not* game related.

Linux, why? Why do you torture me so?

Postby Enigmia » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:35 am

SO I've been building a desktop, with heavy-duty graphics and processing. And looking at reviews of the different distros, I figured SolusOS looked good, cause it was supposed to be easy for people who are used to Windows
The forums are shut down because they're updating the OS, and the screen tried to make anyone who saw it have an epileptic fit. Plus other stuff that just didn't work.
So at a friend's suggestion, I tried Mint 15. Still had the screen flash, and the desktop kept displaying weirdly (some odd inches off to the right or left, with the misplaced part of the screen showing up on the other side, among other things.) Not sure if that's even fixed yet, despite all the updates and stuff I ended up installing through the OS.
And it also doesn't like Wine, or to be more accurate I can't get it to run or even download since I get an error along the lines of "Plymouth.... NODATA1 NODATA2", or the same with medibuntu. So now I'm getting someone to help me dual boot a "fixed" version of XP onto the system just so I can game on it.
Anyway, the point of this long rant about my computer troubles is, anyone feel like throwing suggestions at me about what else I might want to dual boot, or otherwise do with it? Up to you guys, but you probably know more about Linux than I do, so thought I'd ask.
Enigmia

Re: Linux, why? Why do you torture me so?

Postby Gravedigger » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Linux is... well... it's not for sissies, let's put it that way. A lot of folks interpret that as 'elitist' and even 'hipster', but the fact is, you basically just have to know what the hell you're doing.

I shall note that there is a Linux User's Group here in Davis, with somewhat regular meetings. You may inquire there.

Myself, I tried making a bootable thumb drive. Sadly, it turned out what I was actually doing was making a 'virtual' machine, that wasn't actually installing anything, so hours spent installing Steam on it... didn't work so well.
Gravedigger

Postby Enigmia » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:20 am

Lol, yeah, I tried that with windows and an external hard drive a while ago, turned out it wouldn't work because windows turns off any external stuff during startup, most likely to prevent people doing that. :P
Enigmia

Postby Fetch » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:44 pm

When I installed Ubuntu on a desktop it didn't display correctly at first but all I had to do to fix it was go and set the screen resolution to the right one. You might try that?

Ubuntu may have burned it's bridges with the hard core open source community but it is damn easy to install and use. If you're having trouble with other distros it's probably your best bet to just get something running NOW. You can always experiment with other distros on bootable drives later if you want to move to something more ideologically pure or technically streamlined.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enigmia » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Yeah, eventually it turned out that the drivers for the video card weren't the correct ones, so after several hours of looking around that was eventually fixed. The newest problem on this crazy adventure is that we ordered the wrong video card somehow, so now I need to find another cheap 8300 series or stick with what I have (a 6550) till the next round of hardware upgrades.
Enigmia

Return to Off Topic Forum