Hedge Gates

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Hedge Gates

Postby Jet Moore » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:41 pm

So, with the precedent set by the flaming hoop at the last Changeling game, and the examples of the flexibility of frames for Hedge Gates shown thereafter, I think someone has to ask...

Given that circuses are generally set up in rings, analogous to hoops, could a Changeling turn the entire Ring that we perform in into a Hedge gate? If so, would it cost a single Glamour as usual or would it cost multiple Glamour?

Also, could a Hedge Gate be kept open by placing a living vine or branch so that it passes through the gate?
Jet Moore

Re: Hedge Gates

Postby Fetch » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:49 pm

Err, some of the flexibility of hedge gates in the last seen last game was me/staff screwing up because it was late. The chain that Jet used, for example, should have stayed pointing the same way in the hedge no mater how it was moved on this side.

As for the circus, while the main stage is referred to as a ring it's really a bunch of bleachers surrounding an approximately circular area. If you're looking to cause havoc the one you're looking for is the freeway overpass. I've seen nothing to indicate that it would cost more than a single glamor.

And finally, for the vine, I think this would work but will defer to Jared if he posts.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Jet Moore » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:01 am

It wasn't so much havoc that I was thinking about but more of delivering people en mass; there are things we need to watch out for, you know. ^_^ The overpass is one idea I'll have to consider.
Jet Moore

Postby B.L. » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:01 am

Note.. you do have to knock to open the gate.

I wonder what the freeway hedge looks like? was anyone looking for the god of the road-- Enodios?
"When the stakes are high, its best to play the clown, and we'll dance as the sky crashes down." ~Jason Webley,
B.L.

Postby Delphinan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:32 am

Jet Moore wrote:Also, could a Hedge Gate be kept open by placing a living vine or branch so that it passes through the gate?

Jared will probably grin sagely and let it happen, then run the Wild Hunt through the opening when least expected.

This is your warning. :)
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:36 am

Why did you have to go and warn him? Now we(staff) can't have as much fun with this one...
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Jet Moore » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:09 pm

Ah, but the knocking problem with the overpass can be solved by either going ahead of whoever you want to deliver and knocking, or standing on a vehicle and yelling "Open Sesame!" or something similar at the top of your lungs, yes?
Jet Moore

Postby Delphinan » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Jet Moore wrote:Ah, but the knocking problem with the overpass can be solved by either going ahead of whoever you want to deliver and knocking, or standing on a vehicle and yelling "Open Sesame!" or something similar at the top of your lungs, yes?

I'll try this one. Core book, page 216...

Highway overpass: definitely a large archway if going *below* the overpass. Check.

Initial gate requires: a changeling to touch part of the gateway and make some sort of request (the knock or 'open sesame') + 1 glamour

Following gate openings require: Command gateway to open + Wyrd draw

I would say your main problem is the touch of the gateway. I myself would not count the ground as part of the archway, so the changeling is going to need some additional time to get in position to touch the concrete of the overpass. But, at least it would be a guaranteed opening. Gauging the opening with cars driving through I assume is left to a draw.

Activating a preset gateway just needs the command. but you only get the one chance I imagine if you are speeding towards it screaming at it at the last moments. If the Wyrd test fails, no gate opens and you have to circle around to try again.

Of course, if you are driving or such through a gateway... well, I don't know what staff feels about that...what if there's a wall of thorns on the other side with you going 50mph into it?
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Cinnibar wrote:
Jet Moore wrote:Of course, if you are driving or such through a gateway... well, I don't know what staff feels about that...what if there's a wall of thorns on the other side with you going 50mph into it?

Then we bust out the crash rules?
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Jared Thaler » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:28 pm

But only after you have gone about 50 feet, breaking down and sweeping aside brush and vine, and all sorts of other thorny vegetation before miring the car / truck irretrievably, yet strangely leaving no trail of destruction to follow back to it's source.

(In OOC terms, it sounds like an excelent way to wind up in the hedge far away from any trods, and far away from the other cars... And a wonderful excuse for staff to watch you all try to make clarity checks at -3 to find a way out...)
Jared Thaler
Player

Next

Return to Changeling Rules