Starting XP

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Starting XP

Postby Jet Moore » Thu May 06, 2010 3:15 am

Creating a backup (or possibly secondary) character; I wanted to know if we still had the option of having starting XP to catch up to current characters, or if that was something that went out the window when Jared stopped staffing CdP.
Jet Moore

Re: Starting XP

Postby Delphinan » Thu May 06, 2010 3:24 am

Do you mean "Accelerated XP", which is additional XP/game for starting players? I recall some characters are getting this.

Extra Starting XP, bonus XP to spend at character creation, I don't recall at all...but then, haven't created many characters. :D
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Jet Moore » Thu May 06, 2010 3:39 am

http://larp.davisgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1710

Jared Thaler posted:
New Characters may come in at *up to* 50% of the current cut off for accelerated XP

Mage Current: 79 XP
Changeling Current 54 XP
Jet Moore

Postby Joe Oliveira » Thu May 06, 2010 3:46 am

To my knowledge, new characters can still have up to 50-somethingish XP applied to them at character creation. This has the advantage that they have more stuff at chargen, allowing for character with more accomplishments under their belt; it has the disadvantage that you drop out of accelerated XP faster than someone who didn't take any XP at the start. By the time you leave accelerated XP, it all balances out to be the same thing anyway.

I'm always happy to talk to people about new characters, including tinkering with the sheet to better reflect the player's goals and working with the player to figure out what they want for the character's past and future (which are, ultimately, a lot more important to game than dots on the sheet).
Joe Oliveira
Player

Postby Jet Moore » Thu May 06, 2010 4:05 am

Excellent! Then I shall e-mail you the character sheet and chat with you on the morrow over AIM!
Jet Moore

Postby Fetch » Thu May 06, 2010 6:06 am

Taking extra experience at character creation is explicitly and option for experienced characters, those who have spent more time back and aren't fresh from the thorns.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Joe Oliveira » Thu May 06, 2010 8:41 am

Fetch wrote:Taking extra experience at character creation is explicitly and option for experienced characters, those who have spent more time back and aren't fresh from the thorns.

Or those who had a lot of experience and skill as a mortal before they were Taken, as I recall.
Joe Oliveira
Player

Postby Fetch » Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 am

Joe Oliveira wrote:
Fetch wrote:Taking extra experience at character creation is explicitly and option for experienced characters, those who have spent more time back and aren't fresh from the thorns.

Or those who had a lot of experience and skill as a mortal before they were Taken, as I recall.

I don't think that was ever official. I might consider it in some cases but in general fresh from the thorns means 0 exp.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Delphinan » Thu May 06, 2010 9:51 am

Fetch wrote:
Joe Oliveira wrote:Or those who had a lot of experience and skill as a mortal before they were Taken, as I recall.

I don't think that was ever official. I might consider it in some cases but in general fresh from the thorns means 0 exp.

There's a bit of sense to that. Many mortal merits that could be purchased before the abduction such as businesses, resources, etc, are available only to a fetch when one returns changed, without id. Bill Gates would have a hard time getting access to his bank accounts, for example. In short, the dots would be thrown away until the fetch was dealt with..and if those were a significant number of dots, the fetch would have the advantage (perhaps overwhelmingly...if 'Bill Gates' wanted someone 'gone' quietly...what chance would the changeling have?) in the mortal world.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Return to Changeling Rules