Cold Iron and the Hedge

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Cold Iron and the Hedge

Postby Jet Moore » Thu May 13, 2010 12:01 am

So... if cold iron is anathema to Fae magic etc etc, what's it's effect on the Hedge? Would Cold Iron be more effective in forging a path through the Thorns and shaping the Hedge? If so, is this still the "only if it's shaped to be a weapon" thing or could cold iron nonweapon tools or lumps of cold iron help to clear paths through the Thorns?
Jet Moore

Re: Cold Iron and the Hedge

Postby The Doctor » Thu May 13, 2010 12:02 am

Cold.

Iron.

Bulldozer.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Skittles » Thu May 13, 2010 12:04 am

Oh dear god. That is a scary, scary thought. Awesome, but terrifying.
Skittles

Postby The Doctor » Thu May 13, 2010 12:09 am

It has been discussed in great detail before.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Jet Moore » Thu May 13, 2010 12:13 am

Yeah, but you *probably* couldn't feasibly make something that huge out of cold iron without it cracking unless you spend several months of downtime, getting multiple exceptional successes and no botches....

What made me think of this is that I was exploring Glen Park with Donnie today, and ended up smashing my way through vines and brambles and thorns with this strange metal thing I found in order to get back to the path so we could get out and return home. I thought to myself, "Hey... this must be the really-toned-down version of what negotiating the Hedge is like. I wonder if you could use something like this made of cold iron to smash through the Hedge in the same way." And then I thought, "I shall name you George the Thorn-Smasher, and I shall cherish you forever, even though I have no clue what sort of contraption you are!" And then Donnie laughed, and it was good.

Yep.
Jet Moore

Postby The Doctor » Thu May 13, 2010 12:15 am

You'd really just need to forge the blade out of cold iron for the bulldozer. That's not difficult.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Skittles » Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 am

You could probably have one made for you. It wouldn't be that hard to get the resources to purchase it....
Skittles

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Thu May 13, 2010 12:19 am

Are the thorns really "Fae", though? I wouldn't think they would be any moreso than the hobs, and if I remember correctly these denizens of the thorns are themselves not particularly vulnerable to cold iron.

In any case, I am officially in favor of building that bulldozer anyway.
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby Jet Moore » Thu May 13, 2010 12:21 am

Hmm.... we should look into this further. But it would need to be mounted on a Fae mount, as technology often won't work in certain parts of the Hedge (depending on the local themes) so an actual bulldozer would be quite unreliable.

Although it does occur to me that once you fashion the actual blade, machining the sides of it so it could be attached to the bulldozer or mount could probably be done fairly easily with actual machines without lessening the effect of the cold iron. (Doesn't involve fire, and is just a modification after the hand-forging.)

I think the thorns are officially Fae in part, at least, much more than the denizens are.
Jet Moore

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Thu May 13, 2010 12:23 am

Well, whatever it takes, let's put together a fleet of dozers, pave a highway to Arcadia, and cover it every few feet with cold iron "severe tire damage" strips to make sure it's only used by the right people.
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Next

Return to Changeling Rules