Cold Iron and the Hedge

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Re: Cold Iron and the Hedge

Postby Jet Moore » Thu May 13, 2010 12:49 am

Cold iron tank traps and barbed wire! 8D

Cold iron steamrollers!
Cold iron wrecking balls!
We shall build a nonmagical Parking Structure of Banality upon the ruins of Arcadia! Made of concrete reinforced with cold iron!
Jet Moore

Postby Fetch » Thu May 13, 2010 9:19 am

Skittles wrote:You could probably have one made for you. It wouldn't be that hard to get the resources to purchase it....

Where the heck can you even buy a cold iron knife much less a hand crafted iron (not steel) bulldozer blade made from iron without heating? So far as cutting thru the hedge with cold iron, it ignores fae defenses but without a path navigation is still difficult and you still need to know which way you're going.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Delphinan » Thu May 13, 2010 9:35 am

Fetch wrote:So far as cutting thru the hedge with cold iron, it ignores fae defenses

Yeah, one large pit, some thorns and leaves covering it, and just wait... :mrgreen:

I suspect Hedge dirt doesn't dissolve to cold iron.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Jet Moore » Thu May 13, 2010 12:52 pm

So... thinking back on past experiences... we need some cold iron machetes etc., maybe a Messenger like Raine, and a small pack of soulless fetch-spawn.

Hmm. Kinda wish we hadn't killed Cherry's fetch now... her children would have proved quite useful.

Hmm. A mobile hollow like Becky, with cold iron spikes and plates, would be excellent as well.
Jet Moore

Postby The Doctor » Thu May 13, 2010 6:34 pm

These plans may or may not have been already in the works.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Jackson Storm » Fri May 14, 2010 1:16 am

ya about the hole cold iron thing I now have strength 4 so I belive I should start making cold iron yet you still need to teach me how, not just do this do that as in show me and help me the first 2-3 times until i can do it my self.I belive craft would be handy and I do not have that as of right now. yet is it craft cold metal, or is incert wepon here and make it cold iron, example( craft gun) or does it half to say (craft cold iron cane sword) as to the building of that that bulldozer I see many complications. One it could get stuck, lost or worse hijact by hobs or fay. I do not know this and fill free to crorrect this but I am under the idea that Cold Iron only affects the fay not us. hence the name iron ring. if so then it would not be as bad cause then the could not us it to kill us all by raming it down are free hold. yet I can see them trying any way for s@#$* and lols, and yes i used lol because well ya. we do have tobias's car yet i don't think he would like the idea. Or a mechanic ya that would be kinda handy if it brakes down. I can also see it saying no you don't have the contract and just leave us going wtf. Personly I see the value of bulding it and it would give me something eles to gard from time to time yet i see lots more complications. I am still new to the game and I am all for it but I was just pointing out my concerns.
Jackson Storm

Postby The Doctor » Fri May 14, 2010 2:03 am

As for Cold Iron's effects, well. Hand forged iron can't be the direct target of contracts, and ignores fae (note: lowercase) supernatural protection - contracts, armor, whatnot. Hand forged cold iron does the aforementioned, and deals aggravated damage to Fae (note: uppercase). Legendary cold iron does special hoopty-jabber based on storyteller discretion.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Jet Moore » Fri May 14, 2010 2:08 am

Jackson Storm wrote:ya about the hole cold iron thing I now have strength 4 so I belive I should start making cold iron yet you still need to teach me how, not just do this do that as in show me and help me the first 2-3 times until i can do it my self.I belive craft would be handy and I do not have that as of right now. yet is it craft cold metal, or is incert wepon here and make it cold iron, example( craft gun) or does it half to say (craft cold iron cane sword) as to the building of that that bulldozer I see many complications. One it could get stuck, lost or worse hijact by hobs or fay. I do not know this and fill free to crorrect this but I am under the idea that Cold Iron only affects the fay not us. hence the name iron ring. if so then it would not be as bad cause then the could not us it to kill us all by raming it down are free hold. yet I can see them trying any way for s@#$* and lols, and yes i used lol because well ya. we do have tobias's car yet i don't think he would like the idea. Or a mechanic ya that would be kinda handy if it brakes down. I can also see it saying no you don't have the contract and just leave us going wtf. Personly I see the value of bulding it and it would give me something eles to gard from time to time yet i see lots more complications. I am still new to the game and I am all for it but I was just pointing out my concerns.

1. It would be Strength plus Crafts. You can probably learn Crafts from Beth. You'll have to buy it with your XP; send in a message to Lucas with your DTAs if you want to do that. If you like, you could later buy a Crafts specialty in Cold Iron, or in Weapons.

2. Cold Iron bypasses all magical defenses that are Fae in nature, including Changeling magic. In addition, it is the bane of magic, cannot be affected by magic, and deals agg damage to Fae rather than bashing or lethal. Contact with it burns the Fae. Yes, it could conceivably be stolen; that goes for just about anything that's useful.

3. We won't be using a car or a mechanic because, as I said earlier, machines have a tendency to not work in some parts of the Hedge; a Fae mount or something would be better. If this ends up happening, I'll probably make another valiant but probably in the end fruitless attempt at finding the old Circus' freehold to enlist the help of the local Hobs there.
Jet Moore

Postby The Doctor » Fri May 14, 2010 2:15 am

You should really just talk to Dr. Brown if you want to get there.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Jet Moore » Fri May 14, 2010 2:17 am

Eh. Jet's much too proud for that. Especially now.
Jet Moore

PreviousNext

Return to Changeling Rules