Hedge travel time

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Hedge travel time

Postby Tree Frog » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:52 am

I'm putting up a post here so as not to have this discussion on my other thread as it's a different topic.

Last game, a few people took issue with rules re: travel time in the hedge. This is well noted in the book and widely established. Indeed, travel time is ridiculously long, however these are the rules laid forth in the book and administered by the STs. I don't agree with it personally, so frankly yelling about it at me doesn't help, since I dislike it also but have no choice but to convey those rules. If you have issues with it and would like to have a discussion upon it, post here rather than the other thread. Thanks.

Also to point out a few things since it'll likely be brought up anyway:
a) Hedge stuff may be done over DTAs
b) Hedge stuff may be done at the end of game
c) Hedge stuff may be travelled to over DTA and roleplayed out during game (most likely), then time jump to current time when all is done
d) Hedge stuff may be done during game for the entirety of game if you have lots of Hedge stuff you're willing to do

Indeed, travel time is long, but that doesn't mean hedge stuff is out of the question if that's your concern.
Tree Frog

Re: Hedge travel time

Postby Fetch » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:04 pm

The main objection to hedge travel time seems to be the following: It takes to long to walk to China and back because you'll be doing that all game.

A flight to China takes more than 12 hours with another more than 12 hours back.
If you don't like travel time then do your travel via DTA's. If you do want to do long distance travel in game(and any travel in the hedge beyond the Hob Town is long distance) then make damn sure you are bringing along people you'd like to RP with for the rest of session.

Further, for hedge travel, there are ways to have a shortcut back home(mobile hollow 5). If you really really want your character to have this capacity then invest the time in game and exp to purchase one of these methods. Otherwise quit your whining.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Delphinan » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:25 pm

For the mobile hollow idea, doesn't that require the portal/character to be outside the Hedge to activate?
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:33 pm

No. Hollow Mobility is a merit, ranked 1 to 5. The lower dots are kinda speed-bumps(not entirely, just kinda) but the fifth dot basically means you can navigate the hedge from the safety of your hollow(Becky the Ship) and so you have access to everything in the hollow including doors.

If you want your character to turn invisible then buy Smoke 5. Arguing that you should be able to just because you're a changeling is only going to annoy Staff greatly.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:01 pm

And if there are certain far-off places you find yourself traveling to frequently, I'd recommend collecting appropriate doorways. Hobbes himself has made a bit of a start on being able to span the hotspots of the country from the safety and convenience of the ship.
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Return to Changeling Rules