Seeking an Audience with the Queen

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Seeking an Audience with the Queen

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:14 am

(It's an interesting delimma, and one which might warrent further discussion. Indeed, how conscious is one of the machinations of his own emotions, particularly when it comes to one as irrational as fear? I could see that if Noah went into this conversation with a calculated reason to suspect that fear-based magic would be used against him, he might be able to discern a sudden influx of fear from the workings of his own mind. On the other hand, it sounds like it's "Creeping Dread" at work here, which really isn't true fear so much as it is a susceptibility to fear, something that might be too subtle to distinguish. Imagine being in a situation wherein you feel a slight trepidation that somebody's going to magically inflict you with fear; how do you know when they've started?)
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Re: Seeking an Audience with the Queen

Postby Noah Conner » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:18 am

(( I was sent a PM with described what my character felt, and it included an intense response to whatever contract was cast. The exact quote was "unsettling shivers up your spine", not just a simple, roll at -2 to all future fear effects. I don't know if anything else but creeping dread was in effect here, or if the contract suddenly made Noah so vulnerable to fear that the spookiness of the setting was suddenly too much for him. But whatever happened, Noah perceived as a sudden episode of fear, being similar to what Jet has done to him in the past. Jet also explained that to Noah that he used his Autumn magic to do it, so honestly the only reasonable conclusion in my characters mind would be that similar things have similar causes, therefore some one magicked him.))

((As to your second point, Noah's empathy dice pool is quite high, so I reason that he's fairly able to understand his own emotions. I know the skill is used in game to read other people, but I can say first hand that you build the skill up by starting with your own emotions. And even so, the character has decent wits and composure, even if empathy doesn't apply.))
Noah Conner

Postby Jet Moore » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:23 am

((You assume only one power is at work here. The house is full of Autumn courtiers, after all... :twisted: ))
Jet Moore

Postby Fetch » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:44 pm

I split the topic, as you know if you're reading this.
the book wrote:This clause causes those affected to become less
resistant to fear or intimidation. The target or targets initially
feels a mild shudder of fear and then becomes considerably
more susceptible to any event that could make them afraid or
intimidated, including anything that might trigger a Phobia
derangement.

The contract in question gives penalties against fear by inflicting mild sensory changes(a "shudder of fear"). It's not the kind of thing changelings should be able to reliably detect but it's also not unreasonable for people to spot it form time to time. Really the thing I'd like every so often is a mis-hit, a false positive.

The thing to remember is that people get this kind of sensation without magic anyway. It's perfectly reasonable that entering the darkened home of the autumn court could give you the chills without help, for example. Such could even inflict a perfectly natural environmental penalty of -2 to resist fear.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Noah Conner » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:11 pm

((Yes, but I never actually entered the home, I was just standing on the porch talking to Rene. As far as I could tell, whatever happened occurred with absolutely no trigger. There was no change in the situation that provide a mundane cause for a sudden change of heart regarding how afraid my character was of the environment. I didn't enter the house, I didn't move closer to it, I just asked if I could come in.))
Noah Conner

Postby Fetch » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:22 am

My exact words were "As Noah enters the home."
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Doctor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:06 am

Clawed fingers snap around the door, digging in and then slowly opening the entrance to reveal Renee, an eyebrow raised at Noah. "Doors do not open themselves."

Was done immediately before the contract went off...seems perfectly natural to react to the Autumn Queen being frightening.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Fier » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:13 am

Why is this under Changeling Rules..? Seems more like a dispute re: personal interpretation (does he notice or does he not). Really could go either way but honestly anyone entering the house and being creeped out might think it was due to contracts being cast on them (it *is* Autumn house).
Fier

Postby Fetch » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:15 am

Debate is better done here than in the thread.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Fier » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:43 pm

Ironically enough not preventing debate from occurring on the exact same thread you split this off from.
Fier

Next

Return to Changeling Rules