Arcadian Metabolism.

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Re: Arcadian Metabolism.

Postby Delphinan » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:04 pm

The Doctor wrote:Don't eat goblin fruit each week, take damage that can't be healed until you die. As a merit.

Sorry, just reading the merit...all such damage from the drawback can be healed once goblin fruit is ingested. In fact, all such damage is healed before the merit effects are taken.

Rites Of Spring wrote:However, eating a single goblin fruit cures this damage
and has its normal affect upon the character.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:09 pm

I think the writer of the merit didn't factor in how easy it is to circumvent the drawback. We've had a number of people with regular access to fruits-o-plenty, so the risk of going without is fairly nominal with a few points invested in the right places.
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby Lucky Luke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:25 pm

It isn't always so easy to come across the fruit, last downtime, I spent 2 dta's looking for fruits and only got one fruit. Regardless of how easy it may seem to get, it is a potentially fatal drawback. What if you're imprisoned, sure you could say you make a gate to look for them, but what if you were imprisoned in the hedge. Enjoy a slow death because you have a merit.

But this is getting off topic, this here thread is for hashing out what the merit is to be, not to bitch over semantics. I'm looking at you. You know who you are.

What do people think about the merit being expanded to an increased effect of all goblin fruits, since the body has more of a faery magical digestive system.

Healing fruits would heal more, strangleweed would strangle more, you get the picture.
“Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the world is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant. It’s a shark riding on an elephant’s back, just trampling and eating everything they see.”
Lucky Luke

Postby Darrell » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Sounds reasonable to me. Except, how would static effects (meaning non-scaling, without a numerical value anywhere), like the onion-type fruit that makes you pop out of the hedge, increase?
Darrell

Postby The Dragon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:55 pm

You pop out faster? Is it an instant action? Could it be pulled out in battle?

You're wondering if the merit could be changed to, enhancement of fruit in general? Not just limited to healing goblin fruits?
The Dragon

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:11 pm

Lucky Luke wrote:It isn't always so easy to come across the fruit, last downtime, I spent 2 dta's looking for fruits and only got one fruit. Regardless of how easy it may seem to get, it is a potentially fatal drawback. What if you're imprisoned, sure you could say you make a gate to look for them, but what if you were imprisoned in the hedge. Enjoy a slow death because you have a merit.

But this is getting off topic, this here thread is for hashing out what the merit is to be, not to bitch over semantics. I'm looking at you. You know who you are.

What do people think about the merit being expanded to an increased effect of all goblin fruits, since the body has more of a faery magical digestive system.

Healing fruits would heal more, strangleweed would strangle more, you get the picture.

I daresay the impact of the drawback is an important part of hashing out what the merit is to be; indeed, all of the rules are hashed out in semantics, and we could hardly decide what they should be if we can't determine what they mean.

Sure, hunting for fruit is hard, but buy a hollow with the proper amenities in it an you're never in need of goblin fruits.

Frankly, the "slow death" you would suffer if imprisoned without goblin fruits is secondary to the much quicker death you would suffer without food or water, and if your captor is supplying this to you they're probably keeping you alive anyway. It might be a problem if you're captured by somebody who wants to keep you alive but is not "in the know", and at the same time is an exception to the incredibly easy escapability of most such people, but at that point the drawback has been reduced to a truly trivial point.

If nobody's too fixed on this merit, I might propose nixing it altogether. If we have to salvage it, I might suggest that it would be converted to something that helps you avoid the negative effects of goblin fruits. The concept of arcadian "metabolism" suggests to me somebody who has become acclimated to faerie fare, much like one who ingests small doses of lethal poison to gradually build up an immunity.
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby Lucky Luke » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:04 am

I'm rather attached to it myself, and if you haven't noticed, many a changes have been happening.

The drawback is something I'm perfectly fine with, it's the boon of the merit that staff apparently changed a while back and hadn't bothered writing down. So we have the rare opportunity of making something ourselves.

Now I know who you are. Jujumanjaro, I've been watching you... apparently.
“Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the world is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant. It’s a shark riding on an elephant’s back, just trampling and eating everything they see.”
Lucky Luke

Postby The Doctor » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:14 am

Hmm. I was told by staff that even in a hollow with amenities, you need to do DTAs to try and harvest them. So that doesn't really fix anything. So really, what the proposed change comes to is

Merit: You gain extra healing from goblin healing fruit, and lose 2 DTAs every week.

Is that really that balanced?
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Delphinan » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:52 am

The Doctor wrote:Merit: You gain extra healing from goblin healing fruit, and lose 2 DTAs every week.

Where do you see the 2nd DTA, as I had thought goblin fruit ventures would be a single DTA. Oh, one for each week, I am now assuming. That seems a bit extreme, I know there are others with this addiction in game, and I think it just consumes the one.

In any case, the net result of not feeding the drawback is 3 (1 week + 2*3 days + 1 left over) bashing damage to start the game, healable readily once a goblin fruit is produced. That isn't that bad. And the aquiring of contacts or allies to do the goblin fruit procurement (yes, you too can pay a hob to get your fix! :lol:) on a long-term basis or creating your own harvest patch will release the DTA back for other purposes. In the stories, those with this sort of need usually do go frantic and wishing they could grow their own drug.

Of course, on the plus side of this drug, you will probably have a goblin fruit left over to add to your total bashing survivability 50%, lethal 25% and agg 12% (you can take that much more damage, eating the fruit to reduce the levels taken significantly). That is sizable.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Grreg » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:02 am

I regularly do goblin fruit hunts in the hedges and it only takes one downtime action.
Grreg

PreviousNext

Return to Changeling Rules