Possible Glamour Overdose Rules

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Re: Possible Glamour Overdose Rules

Postby Fetch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:01 pm

Sure, you OD on your court emotion often (and did in RAW to) but you still need to go 4 over your Composure to get anything that you're required to take into next session. With Court bonus that's only 3 successes over your Composure, or a draw of 20 for our Composure 1 guy. You need to work for a pool good enough to pull that off regularly. It is true that tapping the same emotion again and again in the same scene can climb fast but that's also allot of Glamour you're picking up (probably your entire pool and then some).

Also, I feel it's appropriate a character should pause to think whether or not they really want to draw the raw essence of a scene's emotion in. Just because the Tea Party is holding a demonstration doesn't mean it should be a good idea to join them and soak up their bigotry and hatred like a sponge. If you want your character to be peaceful and happy there's no reason for them not to make the (under my proposed system) perfectly rational decision to pick up Glamour in ways that support and affirm that world view, say a peace march or midwifery.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enkindel » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:21 pm

Fetch wrote:Sure, you OD on your court emotion often (and did in RAW to) but you still need to go 4 over your Composure to get anything that you're required to take into next session. With Court bonus that's only 3 successes over your Composure, or a draw of 20 for our Composure 1 guy. You need to work for a pool good enough to pull that off regularly. It is true that tapping the same emotion again and again in the same scene can climb fast but that's also allot of Glamour you're picking up (probably your entire pool and then some).

Also, I feel it's appropriate a character should pause to think whether or not they really want to draw the raw essence of a scene's emotion in. Just because the Tea Party is holding a demonstration doesn't mean it should be a good idea to join them and soak up their bigotry and hatred like a sponge. If you want your character to be peaceful and happy there's no reason for them not to make the (under my proposed system) perfectly rational decision to pick up Glamour in ways that support and affirm that world view, say a peace march or midwifery.

I can see your reasoning, I simply don't agree with it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with an opinion on this issue, lets let some other people add.
Enkindel

Postby Delphinan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:47 pm

First thought: Why include the Court bonus in the calculation for overdose? Is it necessary to balance this mechanic? If not then not including it preserves the English-language perception of the word 'bonus' and also increases the OD as a luck-driven penalty instead of an predictable one.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:23 am

By RAW and by the thematics overdose or not is based on how much Glamour you take in from emotional harvesting. By way of analogy, it doesn't matter whether you buy the drink or someone else buys it for you, you still get drunk just the same. It's not as if characters can't take steps to prevent getting Glamour drunk. Pulling Punches (ie capping your successes), not harvesting off the exact same emotion if you're already overdosing, or, as stated by the books, switching over to pledge based Glamour when your character gets older and no longer enjoys getting totally wasted.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Delphinan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:08 am

Then by thematic analogy, there is no change in the alcohol content of a glass of wine when slammed down by a neonate vs sniffed at, rolled on the tongue and savored by the connoisseur. But the latter gets much more out of the experience per glass. The Court bonus would be explained as such?
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:13 am

RAW* goes with strait Glamour drawn but I do like your take on it. I could be persuaded to get behind it.

* Rules as Written, it occurs to me some might not be familiar with the term.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enkindel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:19 am

Delphinan wrote:Then by thematic analogy, there is no change in the alcohol content of a glass of wine when slammed down by a neonate vs sniffed at, rolled on the tongue and savored by the connoisseur. But the latter gets much more out of the experience per glass. The Court bonus would be explained as such?

This *is* kinda a cooler way of looking at it than RAW. I mean, why are you harvesting numerically more glamour as is, anyway? Are they arbitrarily having more emotions when they interact with a courtier, even in the absence of direct contract/ mantle interaction?
Enkindel

Postby Cassius Hugues » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:42 am

If I were autumn court and spent my free time scaring people I would think that I would build up a tollerance to fear glamor, and there by more able to harvest it without OD'ing.
That would be my take on the bonus gotten from harvesting your courts emotions, it is part of you so you are used to it and dont OD so fast; on the other hand harvesting non-court emotions is not something you are used to and that is why you OD so much easier on it.
My interpretation of the current rules and themes, you should be encouraged to envoke your courts emotions in others and harvest that, thus making you more alligned with that court.
Cassius Hugues

Postby Fetch » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:30 pm

By RAW and the current rules you're encouraged to harvest your Court's emotions by the +1 glamour if successful and this brings you more in line with your court as you're more likely to overdose and hence be overcome by your Court's emotion. It, like so many aspects of the game (tokens, goblin contracts, pledges), is specifically a upside and drawback situation.

Also, you aren't Autumn Court because you're good at controlling your fear, you're Autumn Court because fear drives you to do things that otherwise would seem impossible.
Fetch
Ring Member

Previous

Return to Changeling Rules