Contracts of Fleeting Passion

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Contracts of Fleeting Passion

Postby Fetch » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:19 am

In part this re-write would be to make the Fleeting Contracts use the new Passion mechanics, in part it would make them a uniform form contract modeled most strongly after Fleeting Spring, the only Fleeting Contract to get significant use. These Contracts could be bought for any Court but are considered favored for Seasonal Courtiers as those Courts have the strongest emphasis on using their emotions. And cuz their the one's with Fleeting X as of now.

Contracts of Fleeting <Court>
Few lore masters know what Contracts were first bound by the founders of the 12 courts. What is known is that the Contract of Fleeting Passions was bound later as a form Contract usable between any Lost and their courtly patron to let them better embody the emotions of their Court. Changelings of different Courts tend to use different names for each of the Clauses. The first Clause is called Cupid's Eye by Spring, Witches Intuition by Autumn, and The Dragon Knows by Winter, for example.

Anywhere in this Contract that Court is referenced it must be the Court the Contract is bound with and anywhere a Passion is called for it must be one aligning with the Court altho it need not be the exact word from the court summery. Desire, Lust, and even some Loves all fall within Springs purview, Desire simply being a crude language representation of the Courts inner feelings. This Contract never detects or manipulates Irrationalities, only standard Passions. Court of the South is special in that Fleeting South can effect any emotion but only if it's rating is 5+.

For every Clause in this Contract the user may substitute their Mantle(Court) + Passion for the subject for Wyrd in the activation test and one or the other for Wyrd in other used.

As a form Contract any character that knows one version of Contracts of Fleeting <Court> may purchase further versions at half the usual experience cost, round down. This discount only applies to Clauses the character already knows. Buying higher Clauses still caries the normal cost.

Fairy's Intuition (•)
With but a glance those who study the ways of Passion can see it in their subject. The changeling can clearly perceive what their subject feels and what they feel it for.
Cost: 1 Glamour
Test Pool: Wits + Wyrd vs Composure + Wyrd
Action: Instant and Contested
Catch: The courtier possesses and has expressed their long term Passion for the subject this scene or visa versa.
Roll Results
Dramatic Failure: The changeling receives false impressions becoming sure that the subjects passion is something other than it's true nature.
Failure: The courtier gets no information.
Success: The courtier learns one of the subjects Passions at the selected level, concerning a selected topic, or for a specific target, assuming their Passion for that target falls within the bounds the Court invoked. Generally stronger Passions are revealed first.
Exceptional Success: In addition to the basic Passion itself the changeling also gets insight to the reasons for or expression of that Passion. A mortals fear of dogs might give a brief flash of a childhood memory, being attacked by the neighbors hound.

Growth of the Ivy (••)
Called Tales of the Baba Yaga by Autumn Courtiers this Clause lets courtiers change those Passions they see in the souls of their subjects.
Prerequisites: Mantle (Court) • or Court Goodwill (Court) •••
Cost: 2 Glamour (Do we want to keep the +1 WP for supernatural targets? I don't think it's needed)
Test Pool: Wyrd + Socialize or Intimidation, depending on Court, - targeted Passion vs Composure + Wyrd
Catch: The changeling makes themselves the subject of the Passion they are changing. This only works for the first such Passion changed to target the courtier at any given time.
Roll Results
Dramatic Failure: The changeling changes their own or the subjects passions in undesirable ways.
Failure: The courtier makes no change.
Success: The Passion targeted by the Clause is changed to a target of the changeling's choosing or the exact nature of the Passion is changed to another within the Court's purview. Fear might become mortal terror, for example. This change lasts for Successes days and the subject may not use meditation or their Composure bumps to change the Passion while it is under the effects of the Contract.
Exceptional Success: Both the subject and nature of the Passion may be changed and the change is permanent until the courtier releases the change. After Successes days the subject may manipulate the Passion in the usual fashions. If they do so the changeling no longer has the ability to release the change as the Passion has become a natural part of the subjects psyche.

Mien of the Wyrd-Faced Stranger (•••)
More advanced use of the fleeting nature of emotion lets it be worn like a cloak, masking the changeling in the face of their subjects's Passion.
Prerequisites: Mantle (Court) •• or Court Goodwill (Court) ••••
Cost: 2 Glamour or 3 Glamour + 1 Willpower to effect an area
Test Pool: Wyrd + targeted Passion vs Composure + Wyrd
Catch:
Roll Results
Dramatic Failure: The courter is not aware they failed the activation.
Failure: The clause dose not respond.
Success: The courtier weaves an illusion upon themselves as the subject of their targeted Passion or one chosen at random if they are not familiar with the subjects Passions. They cannot see the illusion themselves but all other beings capable of feeling the emotion in question do see the user as the illusion. If the subject of the Passion is not a living being the changeling takes on aspects of the Passion's subject in their appearance or may choose to invoke it on an object or area.
Passions for objects may instead cover one of the changelings possessions of similar size and function with the illusion. Areas may be covered in an illusion only if no-one save the courtier can perceive the area while invoking the clause, such as using it while opening the door to an empty room, and the area is commonly considered the territory of the changeling as per Den.
The illusion lasts one scene or until the user drops it.
Exceptional Success: The illusion lasts until the changeling chooses to drop it. After the scene ends if the changeling loses consciousness the illusion drops.

Sundown Eyes (••••)
Not only do the great courts grant the right to change Passions and tear them free as masks for the worthy but can even decide how strong those Passions should be, raising and lowing them as they see fit.
Prerequisites: Mantle (Court) ••• or Court Goodwill (Court) •••••
Cost: 2 Glamour or 3 Glamour
Test Pool: Wyrd + Composure - targeted Passion - subjects Composure
Catch:
Roll Results
Dramatic Failure: The courter destroys their own sense of stability randomly changing their own Passions.
Success: The user may raise or lower the targeted Passions's Intensity by one per success but may not raise the Passion above the usual cap on Passions (5) or drop it below 0. At the end of the scene the Passion reintegrates with the subjects as per the usual rules (to be added to the Passions section, cuz it's likely to be useful in multiple places). The cost to raise a Passion is 2 Glamour but it costs 3 to lower a Passion's intensity.
Exceptional Success: The Passion may be raised without regard for the subjects cap on intensity and dose not reintegrate until the end of the session.

Waking the Inner Faerie (•••••)
The greatest students of Passion can fill a subject with it so completely that all else is driven from their mind. The subject becomes near incapable of thoughts towards any subject not concerned with their Passion.
Prerequisites: Mantle (Court) ••••
Cost: 3 Glamour + 1 Willpower
Test Pool: Wyrd + Expression vs Composure + Wyrd
Action: Extended and Contested, subjects Willpower dots successes, 1 test per round
Catch: The subject has voluntarily and without coercion confided their (long term) Passions in the character.
Roll Results
Dramatic Failure: The contract backfires upon the user effecting them with the drawbacks but not the benefits.
Success: The subject is overwhelmed by the emotions of the Court. Any act that dose not serve one such Passion is considered to be directly against the highest such Passion for the purpose of dice penalty and the character loses a point of Willpower each scene in which they turn down an opportunity to pursue such Passions. Once a scene the character may qualify as indulging their Vice if they act upon their Passions and Sway that would go against the Passions are considered Unacceptable Orders. Maybe the Clause needs a little more?
The Clause effects the target for one hour per success.
Exceptional Success: The Clause effects the target for one day per success.

Thoughts?
Fetch
Ring Member

Re: Contracts of Fleeting Passion

Postby Enkindel » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:08 pm

Might want to make it explicit in the second clause that it only lets you change passions to things with a resonance with your court emotion-- so Spring can affect desires, Autumn fears, summer anger or frustration, and winder sorrow. As is it reads kinda like you can just change passions to whatever you like.

Also, my favorite part of this idea? Moon and Sun now have court contracts! :D And so do the Directions! Yay!

Some of the durations (mostly on 2) are a bit wonky too. It was alright for them to last days back when emotions didn't actually matter, but we might want to tweak that some to be more in line with other Contract's mechanical effects-- generally, changeling magic that's useful doesn't last more than a scene without an exceptional success.
Enkindel

Postby The Doctor » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:17 pm

I...actually don't really like this. I don't like uniforming the court contracts, it makes the courts way too much the same.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Milk Waffler » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:38 pm

I'd have to agree with this.

Even though the courts all share a common goal, they are fundamentally different.

Also there are moon and sun contracts, made by lucas, but they do exist.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby Fetch » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:13 am

Well I don't see it as unifying the courts but, as my fluff states, a form contract (like elements) that someone came along and forged with the concept of Passions or Emotions or some such later. Basically think of it as an Elements like form where you chose desire or fear instead of fire or water. It just so happens that the Wyrd decided to give it out to the Courts instead of making it Fairest favored. I realize now I forgot to put in the "buy new emotions at half cost" clause in there but it should be there. I may go back and edit it in.

Basically I looked at the Fleeting Contracts and realized I could incorporate every clause that had actually been used by anyone in our group*. Then I tossed Fleeting Spring 4 because being able to make feelings stronger or weaker is more important to the concept of emotions than the ability to pull hand grenades out of your friends ass.

* Turns out PC investing in emotional manipulation powers want to manipulate emotions, not deal Bashing damage. Also, while funny, I can see why no one's spent valuable exp on detecting them self with Fleeting Summer 1.

edit:

Milk Waffler wrote:Also there are moon and sun contracts, made by lucas, but they do exist.

And they are awesome ;p
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Fox Folger » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:24 am

Milk Waffler wrote:I'd have to agree with this.

Even though the courts all share a common goal, they are fundamentally different.

Also there are moon and sun contracts, made by lucas, but they do exist.

The Witching Moon and Zenith Sun don't actually manipulate emotions as far as they go. From what I've seen of them, they're more contacts made with the concepts of deviance and conformity, less with disgust and shame.

I don't see any reason we couldn't just keep both versions of the Fleeting contracts and have people just pick up the version they like. We can handwave why some people's fleeting summer is different than others (if, indeed, anyone would ever take default fleeting contract that wasn't spring).
Last edited by Fox Folger on Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fox Folger

Postby Delphinan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:32 am

Fox Folger wrote:If, indeed, anyone would ever take default fleeting contract that wasn't spring).

I use Fleeting Winter 1 a lot for new characters to help drive players to flesh out the character's motivations, and to give me fodder for Manipulation. Fleeting Spring 1 tends to be a bit random in what it returns back and I'm not surprised when the result is known desires that are hard to manipulate. Fleeting Winter 1 information usually is directly applicable (current sorrows rather a desire) and has an easier catch (yes, ha ha) than Fleeting Spring 1.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:00 am

Well under this rewrite you could still get the same information with Fleeting Winter (category of sorrow I'm looking for is any currently active) altho it would make the catch harder. It would be expanded to also be useable for Fleeting Spring/Autumn style delving into the depths of personality as well.

On the flip side Theo would find the catch for Spring easer as it would no longer require kissing.

It may make sense to add a second catch for reading emotions in the forefront of someone's mind. Look them in the eye to see what they are feeling and about whom right now.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Doctor » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:11 am

Just because people haven't bought them up in game doesn't mean they should be ditched. It doesn't mean there aren't good, unique powers in there (fleeting autumn 4 and fleeting summer 4, cough cough), just that either the lower levels don't make the cost worth it, or we haven't had a concept built for them. Court contracts don't lend themselves to out-of-court changelings, so it's a very limited pool for each group. For summer, we've only had one long-lasting courtier, and he isn't interested in the fleeting aspect of his court that much. It doesn't mean the contracts aren't worth keeping.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Delphinan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:12 am

Fetch wrote:... altho it would make the catch harder.[/i].

Sorry, but 'long-term passion' would a deal-breaker on the catch. A contract named 'Intuition' should not require long-term association to be usable...that's called 'Experience' and everyone gets that. :)
Delphinan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Changeling Rules