Contracts of Fleeting Passion

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Re: Contracts of Fleeting Passion

Postby The Doctor » Mon May 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Level 4 does no such thing, it only lets you raise or lower the intensity of the passion. A combination of 2 and 5 allows you to do that to one minion in two casts assuming they have that passion. That's one of the big reasons I say they're weaker. Everyone feels fear, or can be angry at things, but if they're not long-term enough to be put in very limited passion slots these contracts do nothing. I have yet to hear anyone put any wrath-related passion onto their sheet, which means - hey! Everyone's immune to all the summer clauses.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Enkindel » Mon May 02, 2011 2:21 pm

The Doctor wrote:Level 4 does no such thing, it only lets you raise or lower the intensity of the passion. A combination of 2 and 5 allows you to do that to one minion in two casts assuming they have that passion. That's one of the big reasons I say they're weaker. Everyone feels fear, or can be angry at things, but if they're not long-term enough to be put in very limited passion slots these contracts do nothing. I have yet to hear anyone put any wrath-related passion onto their sheet, which means - hey! Everyone's immune to all the summer clauses.

Enkindel has two hatreds on his passions list: one for Lab Rat, and one for Water (This one's more like unease, though, so it might be more Autumn than Summer). Hatred is close enough to fit into Summer's purview.

Fox has Contempt for Lies on his sheet, which is, again, close enough to be affected by summer.

Case has Hatred for Law Enforcement.

Edit: Fox also has Hatred for the True Fae.
Enkindel

Postby The Doctor » Mon May 02, 2011 2:53 pm

So one person puts hatreds on their sheets. I stand corrected.

However, the point still stands - if the person doesn't have any such passion listed, they're immune to that court's emotional contracts.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Fetch » Mon May 02, 2011 3:02 pm

The Doctor wrote:Everyone feels fear, or can be angry at things, but if they're not long-term enough to be put in very limited passion slots these contracts do nothing. I have yet to hear anyone put any wrath-related passion onto their sheet, which means - hey! Everyone's immune to all the summer clauses.

There's nothing stoping you from using the clauses on short term Passions (Intensity 1 & 2) so all you need to do is piss someone off and then bam, you can twist it any way you please. Do a little research into a loyalist and social them up a natural anger at their keeper, just an Intensity 1 anger, and then hit it with level 4 to make it grow to a sizable penalty*. You can even shortcut the first half of that if you can find anything pissing them off at the moment (*cough* level 1 *cough*) and change it with level 2.

And before you complain about the prep, honestly, stoping combat for 9 seconds? That's your idea of a good level 4 power? Yes there's the social bonus rider but social actions that can be completed in 9 seconds or less have traditionally been somewhat.. limited.

* Remember, any time you act in direct defiance of your Passions you suffer the intensity as a penalty do to hesitation, shaking with fear, ext. Level 5 just expands what's considered direct defiance.

As for your second claim, I take it there are no Summer Courtiers or Summer Goodwill in either game? I can vouch for Case and Fox having appropriate Summer Passions.
"Bad" Passions like fear, hatred, and disgust are just as useful as love, duty, and honor. I really want to get away from this Arcadian Lord. Good thing I have an Intensity 5 fear of True Fae to boost my benefit from Willpower for the running.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Doctor » Mon May 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Except it's up to them to declare whether or not they get that transitory passion, as there's no mechanics or explanation about how any of them work other than that they "may be declared on the fly".

And yes, I will complain about the prep, because an instant mob-gank stopping power is really, really strong. What, I was just jumped by TF:V? Bam, you guys get to sit around not attacking for 9 seconds, open hedge gate, step through, it's closed and you're safe. As opposed to getting jumped by TF:V, using level 1 to find a wrathful passion, then use level 2 to switch the target of their wrath, then use level 5 to make them compelled to do that...then start all over with the second person. Or find out that they prepare for battle by getting emotions out of their systems, so you're completely screwed. Or don't have the higher cognitive capacity to feel those emotions. (Also, just for the exceptional success on fleeting summer 4 I completely think it's worth it)
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Enkindel » Mon May 02, 2011 6:56 pm

The Doctor wrote:Except it's up to them to declare whether or not they get that transitory passion, as there's no mechanics or explanation about how any of them work other than that they "may be declared on the fly".

And yes, I will complain about the prep, because an instant mob-gank stopping power is really, really strong. What, I was just jumped by TF:V? Bam, you guys get to sit around not attacking for 9 seconds, open hedge gate, step through, it's closed and you're safe. As opposed to getting jumped by TF:V, using level 1 to find a wrathful passion, then use level 2 to switch the target of their wrath, then use level 5 to make them compelled to do that...then start all over with the second person. Or find out that they prepare for battle by getting emotions out of their systems, so you're completely screwed. Or don't have the higher cognitive capacity to feel those emotions. (Also, just for the exceptional success on fleeting summer 4 I completely think it's worth it)

You can use social skills to give people transitory passions. Intimidate, for example, can be used to induce fear or piss people off.

I will grant that this doesn't help with the situation you're talking about, since it still means using the clause takes time. But, again, look at this holistically-- combat should be a very minor aspect of the game, and in this version for Fleeting Summer 4 can be used for many, many more things besides combat, whereas the old version has no other application.

Or, put another way: the old Fleeting Summer 4 lets you win a group fight. The new one lets you ruin a man's life by twisting his anger inwards and making him destroy himself. Or reform a loyalist by playing on latent bitterness for his Keeper, as Lucas has already mentioned. Or just inconvenience someone by making them hate something they used to like. Or what have you.

The latter seems more powerful to me.
Last edited by Enkindel on Mon May 02, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enkindel

Postby Milk Waffler » Mon May 02, 2011 7:01 pm

The Doctor wrote:And yes, I will complain about the prep, because an instant mob-gank stopping power is really, really strong. What, I was just jumped by TF:V? Bam, you guys get to sit around not attacking for 9 seconds, open hedge gate, step through, it's closed and you're safe.

If you ignore the hedge responding to your situation? You won't be safe, it would just change the nature of your predicament from human hunters to Fae hunters.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby The Doctor » Mon May 02, 2011 7:32 pm

It's psychosomatic. It doesn't necessarily respond to your situation, but your fears and expectations. Keep those under control and you're fine. And it was just an example of how it's powerful.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Milk Waffler » Mon May 02, 2011 8:09 pm

The Doctor wrote:It's psychosomatic. It doesn't necessarily respond to your situation, but your fears and expectations. Keep those under control and you're fine. And it was just an example of how it's powerful.

I know I'm derailing this but that's something that's kinda hard to run as staff, and should have rules for situational stress and how that would affect a character mentally and how that would affect the hedge situation.

Lucas, make moar rulezzzz!

Since there arent rules for it, it goes off a more situational bais, and has classically.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby Fetch » Mon May 02, 2011 9:26 pm

The Doctor wrote:Except it's up to them to declare whether or not they get that transitory passion, as there's no mechanics or explanation about how any of them work other than that they "may be declared on the fly".

Fetch wrote:A successful social test may generate a new transitory Passion or turn a transitory Passion into a short term Passion lasting a number of days equal to the Successes achieved.

Now then Bryce, if you're setting aside thematic concerns lets talk mechanics. "I hate it", while a valid opinion, isn't very helpful. How would you work the idea and mechanics of (original) Sundown Eyes into a more general emotional effect that can be applied by any court? What tweaks or removals would help the form Contract? Feel free to think off the wall as well, Contracts do get allot of leeway to act as their own sub-system(Hearth).

Milk Waffler wrote:Lucas, make moar rulezzzz!

:roll:
I'd say a successful meditation test (getting 5 successes?) should be helpful here. Calming and centering yourself and all that. Basically dropping all of your Transitory Passions and calming/controlling all the higher Passions. Making Meditative Mind useful FTW :)
Fetch
Ring Member

PreviousNext

Return to Changeling Rules