Contracts of Fleeting Passion

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Re: Contracts of Fleeting Passion

Postby The Doctor » Mon May 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Quick add-on to the meditation thing since it's the easier topic, I could also see getting passion successes of whatever passion you're trying to quell, or highest if multiple with +1 successes needed for each additional one you're trying to quell at the same time.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Milk Waffler » Tue May 03, 2011 12:12 am

D-D-D-DERAILED!
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby The Doctor » Wed May 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Okay, looking at fixes...I feel that levels 2 and 4 should probably be switched. Making someone more or less [emotion] at something they're already [emotional] at is less powerful than redirecting it - 2 is comparable to using 4 twice at the same time, one to drop the first [emotion] to 0 and second to heighten said [emotion] at another, no matter how inappropriate. And they don't even have to have that [emotion] towards the second target in the first place. And it's binary, rather than success-driven.

Moving on from that, I think it's a bit odd that while you can create a passion in someone with a social challenge, you can't with any of these supernatural powers. Not sure how to work that in, but it's something that bugged me a little bit(think fleeting summer 3, which is also superawesome, or fleeting winter 3).

Seriously, fleeing summer 3 is amazing for dickery. "hey, man, that woman you're flirting with? She's beautiful, totally your type. Good luck to you on that!" Activate fleeting Summer 3. "WHARRRBARGL I AM SUPER ANRGY AT YOU, WOMAN I WAS WOOING." ...and then redirect it however you want with the second level. Just because they were unused didn't mean they weren't good, or had awesome synergy.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Enkindel » Wed May 04, 2011 7:09 pm

The Doctor wrote:Okay, looking at fixes...I feel that levels 2 and 4 should probably be switched. Making someone more or less [emotion] at something they're already [emotional] at is less powerful than redirecting it - 2 is comparable to using 4 twice at the same time, one to drop the first [emotion] to 0 and second to heighten said [emotion] at another, no matter how inappropriate. And they don't even have to have that [emotion] towards the second target in the first place. And it's binary, rather than success-driven.

Moving on from that, I think it's a bit odd that while you can create a passion in someone with a social challenge, you can't with any of these supernatural powers. Not sure how to work that in, but it's something that bugged me a little bit(think fleeting summer 3, which is also superawesome, or fleeting winter 3).

Seriously, fleeing summer 3 is amazing for dickery. "hey, man, that woman you're flirting with? She's beautiful, totally your type. Good luck to you on that!" Activate fleeting Summer 3. "WHARRRBARGL I AM SUPER ANRGY AT YOU, WOMAN I WAS WOOING." ...and then redirect it however you want with the second level. Just because they were unused didn't mean they weren't good, or had awesome synergy.

The specific example could be argued to work with the Fleeting 2 we've got here: they've got a passion of lust for the girl, you swap it over to rage.

I do agree that it might be worthwhile to swap the fourth and second dot clauses here. Or maybe stick the illusion at 4, and the two direct emotional manipulators at 2 and 3.
Enkindel

Postby The Doctor » Wed May 04, 2011 8:06 pm

Passion is changed to another within the Court's purview.

You can't switch cross-emotions with Fleeting passions 2. Lust could be made love if you're spring, but if you're summer, you can't touch that.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Milk Waffler » Wed May 04, 2011 8:41 pm

perhaps some sort of power that would sway passions unrelated to said courts emotion to said courts emotion, seems thematically appropriate to a contract set named fleeting passion
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby Enkindel » Wed May 04, 2011 8:46 pm

I don't think that's actually the intention with that line: "another" is general, "within the court's purview" is specific-- The passion, whatever it may be, is changed to a different passion which needs to be within the purview of the court. Its Lucas' thing, though, let him say.
Enkindel

Postby The Doctor » Wed May 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Anywhere in this Contract that Court is referenced it must be the Court the Contract is bound with and anywhere a Passion is called for it must be one aligning with the Court.

It seems rather clear that each court can only affect their own emotions, it's what Lucas and I were arguing about before.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Milk Waffler » Thu May 05, 2011 12:07 am

Except you were arguing super specific shit that you don't use, you've set it up to be an argument. It shouldn't and you know this.

I've tried to calm it down with occasional jokes, but you need to stop "arguing". Call it a debate, call it 'loody ol' debait, call it something other than an argument. And stop thinking of at as one.
Milk Waffler

Postby Delphinan » Thu May 05, 2011 6:27 am

Milk Waffler wrote:I've tried to calm it down with occasional jokes, but you need to stop "arguing". Call it a debate, call it 'loody ol' debait, call it something other than an argument. And stop thinking of at as one.

Semantics cool down.

Merriam-Webster dictionary wrote:Definition of DEBATE

: a contention by words or arguments: as
a : the formal discussion of a motion before a deliberative body according to the rules of parliamentary procedure
b : a regulated discussion of a proposition between two matched sides.

I'm going to assume Miles is asking for less contested arguments, or a gentler tone to the responses.
Delphinan
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Changeling Rules