Soldier Kith Change?

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Soldier Kith Change?

Postby Milk Waffler » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:21 pm

As we all know, the soldier kith is pretty shitty, and doesn't really fit well with the thematic soldier, especially these days(guns). So I've been thinking of how to make the kith worthwhile while not making it overpowered. What I came up with utilizes Lucas's new injury mechanic.

What I propose is that the Soldier kith blessing be a -1 to injury tests. This would make Soldier a decent combat kith, but not overly powerful.

I spoke to Bryce about this and he said it would be very thematically appropriate for faceless soldiers that just keep on fighting and fighting, as that is what soldiers do.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Re: Soldier Kith Change?

Postby Delphinan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:30 am

That would be assuming the soldier is a golem. Most soldiers (unless they are Captain America) tend to stop fighting after getting hit. It is why an army of soldiers is usually needed in a battle to win, not one or two.

This is also why there are combat medics to get those soldiers back into the fray.

You might consider a soldier as part of a the pack animal mentality, perhaps harder to disobey orders (mental flaw), with a benefit either in Firearms or some physical stat like Stamina so they can keep charging forward and fighting.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Delphinan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:41 am

Milk Waffler wrote:What I propose is that the Soldier kith blessing be a -1 to injury tests. This would make Soldier a decent combat kith, but not overly powerful.

Reading it over again: If I recall, the injury tests do not occur while in combat, but are immediately following the combat scene, so this benefit makes them more resistant to critical injuries as the intent?
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Milk Waffler » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:27 am

yes
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby Enkindel » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Could work. Kinda a pity to throw out Bladelore wholesale, though. Its a neat idea.
Enkindel

Postby Dante » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:09 pm

Thing I dont like about soldier being the bladelore kith is that soldiers dont use blades anymore.

Also I belive that the new injury mechanics should have at least some kith acknowledgement.
Dante
Changeling

Postby Fetch » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:35 pm

For the first, meh. Not all predators use claws or fangs but that doesn't mean Hunterhearts shouldn't deal Lethal. You could always make a variant kith for other weapons (clublore?).

On the second, you could just make a new Kith that interacts with Injuries. If I were going to put such powers in any existing Kith/Seeming it would be the Elemental Seeming Blessing. Namely I've considered the possibility that Elementals could subtract from Injury tests instead of their current Blessing, either reducing Injury tests by Wyrd or maybe doing a -1 per Glamour as a sort of reverse of the common +1 per Glamour that most Seemings have.
Fetch
Ring Member

Return to Changeling Rules