Types of Iron

Changeling the Lost Specific Questions

Re: Types of Iron

Postby Ovid » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:45 pm

Fetch wrote:If I may. 5 dots was because I was being conservative. Maybe it's a power only worth 3 or 4. It's easer in the long run to creep power up a little than down...

The dot cost is not purely meta, it indicates the in character difficulty of creating the item. Forging a regular cold iron grail would require 2 successes. Forging a one dot legendary iron grail would take 5 successes and one special preparation. It's easy. Making a five dot version requires 17 successes and a ton of extra care. It's hard. It's like the five dot token that lets you enter the hedge. Any changeling can already do that but by making the token so expensive it makes the point that this is inherently a powerful ability and that these things are rare. Also it's saying mortals can't normally walk around with them.

As to the utility of killing Ensorcelment, don't think of it as a tool you use on yourself but as a weapon against your changeling enemies. If you know that Theo has an Ensorcelment pledge with the chief of police then breaking that Ensorcelment means Theo suffers whatever Sanction he put in the pledge and the chief probably loses his Boons as well.

If it was more clear in the item description that breaking the Ensorcelment causes the pledge to break on the changeling's side, then yes, I'd say it deserves five dots. Being able to make your enemies selectively break pledges through no fault of their own is definitely worth five dots of power. Also, what's this probobly? If he breaks the pledge, he breaks the pledge, right? The boons go away because the pledge is broken.
Ovid

Postby Fetch » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:52 pm

If a mortal is Ensorceled then that means a changeling in the pledge has taken the Ensorcelment Task. Stating that the changeling has broken the pledge when the fail at their Task in every power that might void a Task is redundant.

Also 'probably' because Theo and the chief might not be the only one's in the pledge. If Theo breaks his Ensorcelment Task he suffers the Sanctions but that doesn't remove the chiefs responsibility to report to Dr Brown in exchange for the special training Brown is giving the SWAT team, hypothetically. Large pledges like freeholds oaths would be real easy to get out of is all you had to do was wait for one other person to break it and then be free from it forever more.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Ovid » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:48 pm

Fetch wrote:If a mortal is Ensorceled then that means a changeling in the pledge has taken the Ensorcelment Task. Stating that the changeling has broken the pledge when the fail at their Task in every power that might void a Task is redundant.

Also 'probably' because Theo and the chief might not be the only one's in the pledge. If Theo breaks his Ensorcelment Task he suffers the Sanctions but that doesn't remove the chiefs responsibility to report to Dr Brown in exchange for the special training Brown is giving the SWAT team, hypothetically. Large pledges like freeholds oaths would be real easy to get out of is all you had to do was wait for one other person to break it and then be free from it forever more.

Right, but THEO is not getting his boons anymore. He broke the pledge, he's out of it.

I'd also forgotten that there was a Task attached to Ensorcelment.

Oh, wait. Derp, I missed that you were talking about the chief losing his boons. Nevermind.
Ovid

Postby Fetch » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:58 am

Yah, Ensorcelment is a Task, and a damn easy one most of the time. It's only been broken once in CdP.

I as thinking it might make more sense to just have the grail drain the glamour form anyone who drinks from it, not just Ensorcelment glamour, but it's not that important, just being an example of the kind of thing you can do.
Fetch
Ring Member

Previous

Return to Changeling Rules