Midnight BBQ

Just General Chatter about the Game

Midnight BBQ

Postby Fetch » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:16 am

The nights are warming up quite nicely. I have coal and lighter fluid. I can easily bring fixings for PB&(J/H). I think it's totally time to get back to grilling in the park.

Very important tho are the lessons from last year:
• It's an open grill. Meat takes forever (2-3h) to cook.
• Water's heat capacity is just too high. Anyone have one of those plug in kettles they'd be willing to bring?

Also if anyone wants to bring items that require (quick) baking or cooking we can do that at my place.
Fetch
Ring Member

Re: Midnight BBQ

Postby Thaig » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:33 pm

So does that mean next game is going to be held in the park? Potluck style I assume?
Thaig

Postby Fetch » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:00 pm

If people are on board with it, yes.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enigmia » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Given the weather I just biked through, do we have an alternate location in case of rain?
Enigmia

Postby The Doctor » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:41 pm

Most likely we will transfer to the park at the end of game for cooking.

Also, meat takes a perfectly reasonable amount of time if you start cooking it at the beginning alongside vegetables. It only takes 2-3 hours if you cook several full racks of vegetables before you touch the meat.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Gravedigger » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:24 am

I do in fact have one of those plug-in kettles I can bring. It's small-capacity, but heats very fast.

As for meaty bits, it's generally dependant upon the shape. It's why hamburgers are thin and flat, so they will cook through quickly. if we're doing inch-thick steaks, then less successful.
Gravedigger

Postby Fetch » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:37 am

Weather: currently predicted to be mild with no rain. If it is bad... In N Out? As long as people bring things that require no refrigeration we can easily abort if we need to.

As to meat, yes, hamburger cooks in reasonable time. Justin brought a bunch of raw chicken one time and once it got on the grill it took about 2 or so hours to cook all the way through. The grill was already warm when they went on so I suspect putting them on before the grill has time to heat up would take longer. The last batch, after the grill had a full 2+ hours to heat up, cooked in less than an hour.

Like I said above, I'm planning to bring (healthy) bread so an easy option is for people to bring whatever they want on sandwiches: lunch meats, cheeses, that kind of thing. These are low volume and don't need much refrigeration so should be fine coming to game before hand.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Delphinan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:44 am

Dress warm, it is windy so the wind chill will be a factor to enjoying the late night. :?
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Delphinan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:47 am

Another lesson learned: Someone needs to bring an empty jug to fill with water to put out the grill afterwards.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Depending on the sprinklers, yes.
Fetch
Ring Member

Next

Return to General Discussion