Contracts of "Space"

Just General Chatter about the Game

Contracts of "Space"

Postby Enigmia » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:47 am

Redo of contract set is now a thing, because the way it was previously was too complicated and number-filled and didn't have a well-set theme. As such, I'll be deleting my old posts in this thread after this one.

Now to the list of brain-storming that was created last game (and may have been added to since >_>), as a record, and as possible fuel for discussion:

-Direction/sensory input reversal ("Oh, you wanted to move your left hand? You move your right foot instead.")
-Two-way switch teleportation (you switch places with someone)(catch, touch?)
-Room Distortion (infinite hallway)
-Forget object or person/make invisible
-Invisible paths adjacent to normal ones (create?)
-Sleight of hand...?
-Center of gravity (draw toward center)(self?)
-Added momentum (slightly more damage with physical attacks, faster movement, etc.)
-Teleport to willing ally
-Temporary containers (bubble, possibly able to re-size contents while in bubble, needs to stay with contract holder or pops?)
-Portal gun
-Range extension of other contract, ability, or attack
-Mobius strip (creation or transformation of object)
-7 league boots
-Negate fall damage
-Change direction of gravity for one object (or person?)(need to be within certain range of you or it reverts?)

Vote for your favorites guys, I'm making this for hopefully others to use besides me. :)
Last edited by Enigmia on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enigmia

Re: Writing up new contracts, because I like pummeling my br

Postby Palamedes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Sounds like a job for me, the physics major!

Ill do some brainstorming.
Palamedes

Postby Enigmia » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:07 pm

Plz delete
Last edited by Enigmia on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Enigmia

Postby Enigmia » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Plz delete
Last edited by Enigmia on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enigmia

Postby Palamedes » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:44 am

Now I want to make up some contracts to mess with gravity...or maybe I'll see what else I can think of for my 'sky knight' fighting style.
Palamedes

Re: Contracts of "Space"

Postby Enigmia » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:03 pm

Bump, cause edits
Enigmia

Postby Fetch » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:52 pm

After game some progress was finally made. Contracts of Distortion. Working on that foundation I have a possible draft. It follows the theme, allows for some cleaver synergy, and (as I suspect Jessica will like) is more technical than most Contracts.

Contracts of Distortion
Debate exists amongst changeling scholars whether this Contract draws the maddeningly twisted reality of Arcadia to earth or whether it is grounded in more mundane physics. Those of an occult mindset tend to see the illusions as unpredictable reflections of the world while those with a scientific background point out that such effects can be duplicated with proper application of lenses, mirrors, and the like. In either case these Clauses can be disorienting and even, in some cases, Clarity threatening as they seem to destroy the natural order of the world.

* These Contracts use the concept of "Degree of Distortion." The Degree of a distortion is generally treated as a penalty to anyone attempting to use the original information (text that has been stretched and rippled is hard to read) but the Degree can cancel out another distortion on a one-for-one basis by applying opposite effects. For example if one distortion stretches everything out vertically and a second compresses it by the same amount the two will result in no apparent change. In some cases Degree of Distortion can be taken as a bonus, such as a distortion that uniformly magnifies an area making small details easy to spot.

Changing Cameras (•)
With a touch the character can warp the perceptions of any recording machine such as a camera, microphone, keyboard, or even simple pen. A keyboard might be made to "see" every key press as if it were a different one or a pen such that every line it records is bent or shifted.
Cost: 1 Glamour
Dice Pool: Computers + Wyrd
Action: Instant
Catch:
Roll Results
Dramatic Failure: Bad things happen!
Failure: The clause fails and the device remain unaffected.
Success: The changeling can generate a degree of distortion equal to their successes rolled in the device's input. This lasts until the end of the scene.
Exceptional Success: The changeling may change the distortion with an Instant Action later in the scene. A camera that's had it's view flipped could instead be set to magnification.

Shaping Senses (••)
Shaping Senses allows a the changeling to distort the senses of themselves or or another living subject.
Cost: 1 Glamour
Dice Pool: Wits + Wyrd - targets Composure?
Catch: The subject in under the effects of a hallucinogenic?
Roll Results
Failure: The clause fails and the subjects perceptions remain unaffected.
Success: For each success the changeling can distort one of the subjects senses with all senses suffering a Degree of distortion up to successes. Penalties from distortion apply to app perception tests and to any tests relying heavily on the affected senses. The subject of this effect may take an Instant perception action to reduce the successes of this Clause with their own on a one-for-one basis. Otherwise this distortion remains until the end of the scene.
Exceptional Success: In addition to the penalties the perception test to clear this effect suffers 2-again.

Twisting Trinkets (•••)
It's not only sights and sounds that can be distorted but even physical objects themselves.
Cost: 2 Glamour
Dice Pool: Crafts + Wyrd - Durability
Catch:
Roll Results
Failure: The clause fails and the object remain unaffected.
Success: Each success can increase or decrease the Size of the targeted object by one or twist it by up to 90°. The targeted object must be inanimate and is not damaged by this change which reverts at the end of the scene.
Exceptional Success: The change can be made permanent, if desired.

Warping the Waves (••••)
With this degree of mastery the changeling can distort the flow of light, sound, and other waves through the environment.
Cost: 3 Glamour
Dice Pool: Investigation + Wyrd
Catch:
Roll Results
Failure: The clause fails and the world remains unaffected.
Success: The changeling can apply this magic to an area with Shelter Size up to the successes gained and twisting the flow of one type of wave per success with a Degree up to successes. Because this Clause affects the area it can do things the earlier levels cannot, such as bending light around a corner to see things normally outside one's line of sight. Any given wave can be turned by 90° per Degree of distortion and can even be made to bend in such a way as to flow around something or someone. Someone so concealed is effectively blind as no light will be hitting their eyes.
Exceptional Success: The Wizened can end the Clause early if they wish. Otherwise it persists until the sun next crosses the horizon.

Shattering Space (•••••)
Finally, the changeling can warp not just the perception or energies that lead to such but can warp space itself.
Cost: 3 Glamour + 1 Willpower
Dice Pool: Investigation + Wyrd
Action: Extended (1 test per round, 2 x Shelter size + complexity successes)
Catch:
Roll Results
Failure: The clause fails and the world remains unaffected.
Success: The changeling is able to warp the intended area. The complexity of the warping depends on the desired results. The elements of change chosen can be used throughout the area. For example if a character opted to change distances throughout their home they could increase and decrease the size of rooms everywhere in the house.
+1 success per 20% change in distance
+1 success per 45° turn (veridically or horizontally)
+5 successes to connect distant points
This clause can allow characters to walk on walls or run on ceilings but dose not change gravity per-say. A character walking along the ceiling who falls through a skylight dose not go shooting off into the air but instead falls a short and (to outside observation) curved path landing of the roof.
Exceptional Success: The Wizened can end the Clause early if they wish. Otherwise it persists until the sun next crosses the horizon.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enigmia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:19 pm

Science, it's beaming science everywhere! :3

Completely seriously though, it's never really been about having the contracts be science-y, as it has been that there doesn't seem to be much precedent for a "fluff" version of space and how it works, unlike time with it's paradoxes and traveling and general shenanigans. I'm perfectly happy to have science in the contracts, but I do wish I had been able to find another way to deal with this problem. Ah well, 's all good.

While I agree that these fit Wizened well, and the Crafts and Computers synergies in particular; I feel like these are more sneaky, maybe Darkling-esque? I dunno.

Should #2 be limited to "The Five Senses", or others as well, like.... maybe some granted by other contracts? It is a two-drop, not sure if that would be OP or not, if such even exist.

#3 equals LOL, your sword is now a pretzel, how does that make you feel?

#4: So...That wall of water that runs around the hedge in canyons and such... Could this bend that? Should there be a size cap?

#5.... Yay! A way to not promote making people fall into the sky!
Enigmia

Postby Fetch » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:26 pm

The size limit for 4 and 5 are based on shelter size, as per successes you get. That level of AOE might be to much but it is what you need to do a madhouse style warping. The biggest potential problem is really the open endedness of them. Used at a "reasonable" level I think their fine but as written in this draft there's room for things like trapping every enemy you're facing in an inescapable box, since hitting the successes to trap one means you can trap them all.

Trapping an entire fight in a room who's doors all lead back upon themselves is the idea, not ending a fight by preventing any hostile form interacting with the outside world.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enigmia » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:22 am

Fetch wrote:The biggest potential problem is really the open endedness of them. Used at a "reasonable" level I think their fine but as written in this draft there's room for things like trapping every enemy you're facing in an inescapable box, since hitting the successes to trap one means you can trap them all.

Maybe it can only be a room you also occupy? Or would that make it a bit too hard for non combat characters?
Also. the catch for Changing Cameras should totally be that you have a USB, CD, or other storage device with you, even if the item doesn't have a port for it. ;)
Enigmia

Next

Return to General Discussion