Need help working out a token.

Just General Chatter about the Game

Need help working out a token.

Postby Palamedes » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Totally forgot to work on this, but it's going to be a 5 dot token and the concept I'm working with is some kind of ability to materialize parts of dreams (objects/terrain/imagery) in reality for a short duration.

It would look like a small glowing orb. I still need to work out the catch, drawback, limitations, details, etc.

Suggestions would be nice.
Palamedes

Re: Need help working out a token.

Postby Delphinan » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:57 am

It's a tricky effect to manage.

Being able to summon ANYTHING that could theoretically destroy the block/city/world for any amount of time would not go over too well with any of the staffs. And beside the immediate effects, would the summoned object have secondary or longer term effects that the staff would need to be wary of for the setting's good? (Ex. "I dreamed about the rat responsible for the Black Plague..."). Special 'conditions' of the object's effects would also need to be addressed as that can be easily abused (ex. "Hey, I can handle bars of pure uranium in my dreams that don't affect people I like!")

So really, I think a good foundation for this would be to put some very strict and draconian limits on what it can summon.

Also, sentience of the object, unforeseen dream imagery ("Yes, you dreamed the magic gun..but at the end of the dream, it shot you with the last bullet."), persistence/continuity ("I summon again the camera, and get the picture I took last night.").

We've had several attempts at such similar efforts (usually using Cobblepot or such contracts). The Staff can probably advise you on what they didn't like about those solutions so you can avoid that.

Good Luck.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Palamedes » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:41 am

Good points, that could be a problem...

I think I want to limit the summons to static objects...as in, even if it were moving in the dream, it would be summoned in a frozen state. So a "magic gun" would only be summoned as a normal gun and such.

Maybe I'll just limit the summoning to a few recurring objects rather than an unlimited pool to choose from...that way, I can get those said objects approved instead of the limits of summoning.
Palamedes

Postby Fetch » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:28 pm

There's already the option for tokens that directly mimic Contracts, Dream 4 (Cobblethought) being the relevant one here. Cobblethought Can summon any non-living thing from a dream for a few rounds (normally) so the simplest option is just to make a token do that.

If you want something a little different the big "NO-CHEESE" clause in Cobblethought is "Objects are treated as normal, unexceptional equipment despite their appearance." That is to say you can summon a sword made of moonlight or a gun that shoots wasps but they will act just like more mundane examples of the same thing. Also note that uranium rods (even without magic powers) are never "unexceptional equipment."

Thinking on the subject the following springs to mind:
Dreaming Lens (•••••)
When activated the Dreaming Lens allows the user to physically manifest an object from their dreams or the dreams of a sleeping individual they touch. Objects manifested this way may appear fantastical and always appear in some way ill-difined and dreamlike but function as unexceptional equipment of some kind with equipment bonus equal to their Intensity in the dream. These summoned objects are permanent and may be reflexively summoned by the dreamer they came from for a cost of one WIllpower point.
Action: Instant
Mien: Normally the Dreaming Lens appears to be a small quartz orb. One who studies it closely might be able to make out the appearance of objects summoned by it in the pattern of the crystal. When activated the orb becomes luminescent and the shapes of objects summoned by it swirl about the sphere until they once more are locked in stone.
Drawback: Dreams, as any changeling knows, are the integral parts one one's psyche. To remove one this way is a damaging process costing the dreamer a Willpower dot. If the dream object is destroyed the psyche can heal, restoring the lost dot of Willpower with Resolve nights of recurring dreams focusing on the object.
Catch: The changeling uses the Dreaming Lens to pull forth objects born of Passions or Ideals they keep hidden from the world.

This would make for more strait up power than cobblethought (which is only 4 dots) and puts some good limitations on the token.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Palamedes » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Hmm, that's pretty much about what I'm looking for...

Although aesthetically/storyline-wise, I feel like willpower cost doesn't fit the theme I had in mind. I thought of it as more of a "if the object is destroyed, the changeling's psyche would suffer" kind of thing actually. AH, THAT'S WHERE THE DIFFERENCE IS:

My intention was to have the object disappear after a certain amount of time thus "returning to its original dream" and that process would cause some amount of strain on the mind which might manifest as...idk...sort of a impaired state slightly separated from reality which gives -2 to perception and -2 to all social rolls, plus, the token cannot be activated again until the user gets a full night of sleep.

catch: the item is commonly used/seen in an important recurring dream of the user (there should be a limitation/set number as to how many of these would be permitted)

(lol at uranium rods.)

(So, I was asking a friend about this, and then he's like "that sounds like some kind of changeling pokeball.")
Palamedes

Postby Fetch » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:03 am

Well, you're probably only looking at a 4 dot token then >.>

Standard duration for stuf to stay around is 1 scene and "can't be used again until user gets a full nights sleep" is probably plenty of drawback. That or fatigue penalties so it can be used multiple times but has a soft cap on how much it can be used before you go narcoleptic.

Lets try this on for size

Dreaming Lens (four dot version)
When activated the Dreaming Lens allows the user to physically manifest an object from their dreams or the dreams of a sleeping individual they touch. Objects manifested this way may appear fantastical and always appear in some way ill-difined and dreamlike but function as unexceptional equipment of some kind with equipment bonus equal to their Intensity in the dream. These summoned objects last until the end of the scene or until destroyed.
Action: Instant
Mien: Normally the Dreaming Lens appears to be a small quartz orb. One who studies it closely might be able to make out the appearance of objects summoned by it in the pattern of the crystal. When activated the orb becomes luminescent and the shapes of objects summoned by it swirl about the sphere until they once more are locked in stone.
Drawback: As one removes their dreams they remove the benefit gained from them. When a dream is brought forth that individual suffers a cumulative -1 fatigue penalty. If the object is destroyed another -1 fatigue is also acquired. Characters suffering -5 or more from fatigue must succeed at a Resolve + Stamina draw to remain awake any time they have a good opportunity to drift off.
Catch: The changeling uses the Dreaming Lens to pull forth objects born of recurring dreams.

Since fatigue penalties apply to all tests you probably don't want to use this more than a few times in a game/day but you can push it to overdrive if you don't mind falling asleep all the sooner.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Gravedigger » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:30 pm

I'll also note that five-dot Tokens are generally unique, legendary items, and are very often a piece of a True Fae... There are those that would go to great lengths to take such a thing from you, by any means available...
Gravedigger

Postby Palamedes » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Hmm, I guess it can just be a 4 dot then.

Another LARP I played had the most ANAL and SHORT FUSED ST ever, and she'd flip out if she felt something was even SLIGHTLY too OP, that along with all the bad meta card games I played has greatly skewed my perception on things like this.

Well, since a 4 dot seems to do just about what I want it to do, I don't see why not!

Now I gotta figure out what I'm gonna do with some left over exp...

Thanks for your help, everyone!
Palamedes

Postby Fetch » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:48 pm

As a general rule of thumb Token power level can be tracked, dot for dot, to Contract power level. So, in my suggestion above, we have some more potency than cobblethought (longer base duration) but some stricter limitations (only form yourself/someone sleeping right now). Tokens also need a drawback, unlike most Contracts.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Palamedes » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:55 pm

A follow up question of sorts...

Exactly what would count as unexceptional?

Uranium rods are a NO, but a regular machine gun is fine, yes?
I suppose a medium sized tree would be ok, but a skyscraper would be too much?
What about complex but mundane things? Like a radio or a car?

Also, what if I wanted to materialize scenery elements (like, creating the illusion of a sunny meadow in the immediate area despite it being nighttime in the city)?

Basically, what would the usual limits for "unexceptional" be (based on size, complexity, ability to cause problems/paradoxes)?
Palamedes

Next

Return to General Discussion