Diary of a Magician

The residents of Bisbee have a story to tell

Diary of a Magician

Postby Zzz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:26 pm

I’ve never been the journal type before. I’ve got an excellent memory, what would I need with a written record? But now taking into consideration what I’ve learned recently maybe memory alone isn’t safe. So I’m making a back up. Plus it might be useful as some sort of contingency plan. In case something happens to me. Which I hope won’t of course. But nothing seems certain right now.

So, for that contingencies sake and because even though I can commit a 7 number string to memory after one hearing right now, that’s no guarantee that I’ll even be able to remember my name tomorrow. The name is Dean Fulp-Cooke. Not the most inspiring of names I’ll grant, so in some cases it’s been “The Great Galahad” but that’s by way of a side note. Up until recently and to a certain extent still, I live in Bisbee Arizona, I’m 35 and though I can remember nearly all of my life now that I write the bare statistics of it down it’s embarrassing how little there is of it.

I’m college educated but didn’t graduate so no diplomas, “bright” because of my memory but no real accolades of record. I’ve been a lot of things but though I don’t like to think of it as such now that I seem them written down they’ve been mostly unskilled labor. Not entirely unskilled really, mostly labor that doesn’t take more then a few weeks to learn in a classroom and a few months of practice in the field.

A grab bag of odd job skills like truck driving, chemical testing, carpentry, knowing how and when not to fire a handgun, how to slaughter cattle and clean fish, how to set up ATM machines for banks and a few other tidbits. And magic. Well not “magic” magic, more precisely illusion. To be more specific Magician for Hire, children's parties a specialty type of magic. That sort of magic.Which brings me to my next topic, the big shocker that made me feel the need to write this journal.

Magic Exists!
Zzz
Ring Member

Re: Diary of a Magician

Postby Zzz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Magic Exists!!!
Yeah I know. It’s a surprise for me too. And I’m a somewhat of a professional espouser of shaky truths. I guess like most people I always thought it would be really nice if it did exist but never gave much thought to the ramifications of it. Now I know that it does I’m giving a lot of thought to them and I’m not entirely certain how I feel about it. Half elated and half terrified I guess and as I think on it a little sad in a strange way too.

How do I know? Because I’ve been uprooted from my life and dumped into the middle of it. And in the most prosaic and ordinary way you can imagine, I’ve been hired by it. Literally hired by magic. Well, that is if my “Master” is to be believed. I don’t know if it’s the flat truth but my employer seems convinced of it and now that he appears to have gotten what he wants he seems disinclined to lie to me. It would be a mistake to say I don’t trust his word, more correctly I believe I can trust his words exactly but not him in any real degree.

Now how to dive into it, where to start? It’s. All. True. Vampires, werewolves, ghosts, goblins the whole storybook lot. But despite what we’ve seen in the movies and books recently, it’s apparently all about Fairies. Or so I’m told. Again don’t know how much I can trust it. The ghost and werewolves and vampires are all reportedly just sort of hangers on. The odd predators on the human landscape while the “Fae” as they want to be called seem to have their own parallel civilization. Or civilizations it seems, some of them in fact are overlapping with ours.

Well this is according to him, and since I’m quoting him I’d better describe him. He looks pretty much like a dust covered grease monkey, not literally mind you, sort of the desert version of a local car mechanic. He says his name is “Eddie” and that he used to be human. And he seems it too, other then the weird metal hands and those black plastic eyes he doesn’t seem that different then anybody else. Well except those things and maybe the not being human anymore thing.
Zzz
Ring Member

Return to Garden of Eden Literaries