Journal of a Traveling Alchemist

The residents of Bisbee have a story to tell

Journal of a Traveling Alchemist

Postby Palamedes » Tue May 07, 2013 2:51 pm

((dates relative to present and proportional to real time / human world timeline))

Part I - Equilibrium

-
6/16/1999

It’s been a year or so since I began my work here. It was suggested that I might like to keep a journal of sorts?
Personally, I don’t think I have much to write about.
Work at the Alchemist’s Guild isn’t that all that eventful. They tell me to make things. I make things. That’s my job, more or less.
-

-
6/21/1999

A lot has changed in the past year I guess.
I’m not sure when I first noticed it, but apparently, I have grown wings.
No, they’re not that cool, and I can’t fly.

Sometimes, I feel like my past memories are fading…but that’s not right, I can still remember things. They just don’t seem all that…significant anymore? It’s like those memories don’t really matter anymore.

Ah, except one of them. Actually, that might be a dream. I’m not sure if it’s a dream or a memory, but it’s this vivid image of a place I’ve been to before. A place with a clear sky, unlike the sky here…well, the sky here isn’t physically cloudy. It just feels like it is.

But anyways, of all my past memories, only that one matters anymore.
-

-
12/4/2000

Dear ****ing diary,
Today, our “beloved guild leader” chucked a spear at me.
Given, it was a well made spear. It was really pretty actually.
But yeah, I had a spear thrown at me.
When work sucks, work really sucks.
-

-
1/5/2001

Gambling is a terrible habit. I lost a game today. Along with about half my paycheck.
If I can even call it that. Not quite, I guess.

That place, the desert with a clear night sky. Sometimes, I find that I really miss that place. But I’m not sure why. It seems quite plain and logically boring. But I like that place…
-

-
4/24/2002

Passed another test. This time, we were to forge a pact with the elements.
Those who failed to attain a contract were weeded out on the spot.
-

-
5/1/2003

The base of my wings really itch today.

Allergies, I think.
-

-
2/15/2004

Guild leader decided there were too many workers in the alchemic faction today. What luck! I was chosen as one of the 2 candidates to be “fired” (read: fed to one of her “pets”). Then we were each handed a sword and told to murder each other to keep our positions.

I am no novice when it comes to swordsmanship. Not that I enjoy offing coworkers. Naturally, when it came time to deliver the finishing blow, I hesitated.

Then she called it off. Apparently, she was entertained enough for today.
-

-
3/18/2004

It seems that most of my recent journal entries have been…workplace complaints.
It’s easy to complain about work when it makes up about 80% of your waking hours.
-
Last edited by Palamedes on Fri May 10, 2013 1:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Palamedes

Re: Journal of a Traveling Alchemist

Postby Palamedes » Tue May 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Part II - Descent

-
5/22/2006

Guild project was to be finished today. Lunch break quickly became nonexistent.
Some type of teleportation artifact or something. I only worked on a specific component of it, so I don’t know the details.
-

-
12/30/2006

There was a public execution today. Guild keeper took us to watch.

Her name was Salome. She was from another guild, working under a different keeper than my own.
Her crime was an escape attempt. The first in a few years.
The last one to attempt such a thing was my mentor of sorts. He taught me how to fight with a sword. I remember it was about a month after the day he told me “I have nothing left to teach you.” that he actually disappeared. But even when he told me that, it felt a lot like he had said goodbye.

There was a strange flash, a tearful cry, and she was no more.

On another note, it's raining tonight. It's as if the sky is also crying...
-

-
1/29/2007

It’s been one month since her execution. Today I found out about Salome’s means of escape. Or rather, I was informed of this by someone quite reliable in providing information.

That artifact our guild was working on. She used it to escape by teleportation. But something unexpectedly went wrong.
My theory is that this is connected with the abrupt cancellation of the project. The artifact device was to be disassembled elsewhere and abandoned, yet, it’s found its way back to the basements of our building. It makes no sense.

Makes no sense unless they knew she would escape.
-

-
2/14/2008

Everything’s in disarray now. Shit hit the fan and accusations are being thrown all over the place. Even the keepers are on edge.

Our guild is under suspicion for the accidents of last year and we’re being taken away and murdered one by one. The coworkers yesterday are nothing but chopped up bits today, and it’s only a matter of time before the whole fiasco collapses in on itself.

I’ve decided. I’m getting the hell out of here.
-

-
5/3/2008

Might be my last journal entry.

I’ve moved underground since the guild fell into chaos around me.
The area above ground seems to have fallen into silence……which means the guild is already done for.

Now, it’s only a matter of time before they find me.

It can’t wait anymore…
I have to leave today and the dimensional artifact I moved into hiding with me is my only hope.

All or nothing, here I go.
Last edited by Palamedes on Fri May 10, 2013 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Palamedes

Postby Palamedes » Tue May 07, 2013 6:18 pm

Part III - Rebirth

-
5/4/2008

I woke up in a strange place. A strangely familiar place.

A desert. With a clear sky.
-

-
6/2/2008

-

-
5/4/2009

-

-
11/21/2009

So, that THING is me. Except it isn't.

Yeah, IT.
I don't think it's appropriate to attach any human traits to it despite what IT looks like.

This is gonna take some time to sink in. Really.
-

-
11/22/2009

What was left of my previous life is effectively…gone.

And I ask myself:
“Where do I belong?”
“Where do I go?”
-

Part IV - Gravity

-
6/20/2010

Time heals many things.
Physical injuries, mental damage, disbelief, perpetual sarcasm...

Maybe not that last one.

It's been a while, but things seem to be falling into place again.
-

-
10/13/2010

-

-
1/15/2011

-

-
12/25/2011

-

-
5/20/2012

-

-
9/30/2012

-

-
2/29/2013

A strange series of events has landed me in the company of a strange group of traveling merchants.
It seems that I shall accompany them to their next destination as a bodyguard of sorts.

I do not mind, I have been paid well.
-

-
3/14/2013

I have found much to do in this town. It’s not as busy as a lot of cities back up north, but it’s certainly a nice place.
Had my swords repaired as well. Not in the hedge, but near it.
-

-
3/26/2013

That moment when you realize that you can’t buy normal clothing because you have wings.
I should be grateful I haven’t grown a tail.

Tomorrow will be spent making myself a coat.
-

-
3/31/2013

In a few days, I will be traveling south…again…to Bisbee.

Being back on the road might actually be a nice change of pace this time.
-
Last edited by Palamedes on Fri May 10, 2013 1:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Palamedes

Postby Palamedes » Fri May 10, 2013 12:32 am

Part V - Convocation

-
4/14/2013

Desolate.
That’s the only word I can think of.
Staying at a small inn for the time being. Might be taking up permanent residence at a nearby observatory.
-

-
4/20/2013

They called it Lavender Pit. Those who resembled myself in some way. No, we don’t look anything alike. But we are……similar.

And a day in the hedge has reminded me, that the true fae are neither to be trusted nor to be followed.

The one called Thaig is……no more.
-

-
5/4/2013

Today I met Prometheus. I think.
No, I’m certain it was him.

We were going to Berlin through the hedge to pick up some iron for Sparky’s “project”.
Naturally, I went with him.

Oh, and we were assaulted while in the hedge too! By strange beings wielding proton packs, and machetes, and iron gauntlets, and molotov…hedge goo? Luckily, my skill with a sword or two in hand has not declined. Neither has my skill at throwing objects really far, apparently.

But back to Prometheus. He’s a shapeshifting incubus of some sort. He’s also pretty crafty and somewhat unpredictable.

Sometime along the hedge journey, accusations were tossed around and Prometheus ended up attempting to plant his iconic lighter in my pocket. And at that very moment, it was as if my senses grew 10 times sharper and time itself slowed before my eyes. I swiftly intercepted the lighter and snatched it from his hand, holding it up for all to see.

Not that it cleared suspicion off me. It happened a bit too fast for anyone to be sure about it. I kept an eye on him throughout the rest of our journey, and my efforts were rewarded with first hand info about his latest “project”. It has to do with gates. And it’s rather interesting.

He also revealed to me (indirectly / by assumption) that he requires someone’s possessions or clothing to be able to take their form. I wasn’t going to let him do this while in the hedge though. Things were chaotic enough as is.

I did give him my dagger after we returned though. He can have his fun.
Things are more interesting this way.

Sparky still has his lighter though.
-

-
5/5/2013

Sparky called today. Prometheus paid him a visit to retrieve his lighter.

Turns out his roommate had blown it up. Found this out when I decided to head over to Sparky’s place.
-

-
6/1/2013
Palamedes

Return to Garden of Eden Literaries