Target Practice

Sometimes you just need to get lost amongst the dunes...

Re: Target Practice

Postby Paven Ap » Sat May 25, 2013 3:01 am

Antony thinks for a moment then comes to a realization that the changeling had potential he just had to dig deep and trust he could hit.

Palamedes if i may using one eye or two will not make or brake you nor turn you into great shoot in one day. Annie did not just get the ability she had over night nor did any shooter. We target shoot day in and out and got good.then we did not stop for we wanted to be better then great. I took shooting championships back in Texas, but that does not make me great for any shooter worth a dam know that is not what makes you great shot. to hell with trophies it is when you need to save and protect a life being your or others. It is then you will see if you can pull the trigger when you are staring death in the face. To know if you don't fire and hit its going to get yourself or others dead so you can't miss. that's when you know your great, but all of that comes later.

For today if want you want to use mine it may work better for you then the one you have. This one is named Justice all great guns should have names . when you find yours you can name it. I can give you a few pointers but i found making my own mistakes that i learned faster.

takes out his classic pistol and hands it to Palamedes.

I know he looks old but don't let him fool you hes never let me down other then once. fire a round or 2 and we can go from there.

(( if you would like Palamedes, i can use a dta and help you get dot in fire arms yet i think you would have to use a DTA as well but it will help get you better at shooting, pm me back by Sunday afternoon, and put in a DTA saying Antony is helping you to get one dot in fire arms. if you would like my help in this i don't mind doing so. If you wish to go about it your own path that's cool too.))

(( To staff: so the stats of the gun is a 3 dot hedge pistol 6 shooter.))
Paven Ap

Postby Palamedes » Mon May 27, 2013 8:05 pm

"I see, guess practice makes perfect... After all, the reason I'm good with swords is because there was a need to pick one up and fight at moment's notice in the past. Although I still think my weird eye isn't helping with my aim...problem being, my unnaturally faster eye isn't my dominant one, but I guess I'll see what works for me."

Palamedes receives an old but rather charming looking pistol from Anthony. He turned it over in his hands a few times, examining it.

"Justice, eh? I guess in the end, guns and swords aren't so different after all. I name all of my own swords as I see fit."

((WHOOPS, didn't see this till Monday. Yeah, help would be great, maybe after this Saturday?))
Last edited by Palamedes on Mon May 27, 2013 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palamedes

Postby Paven Ap » Mon May 27, 2013 9:29 pm

(( no worries and ya he can help as much as you would like. I was not using my Dtas for much this week so i did put in one DTA to help you train for this week just in case you we able to put one in. If i were you i would try and put in a dta for this weeks game. if you can still try go put in a dta for it for this week that your learning from Anthony great if not thats ok we can try after this game.))

In practice seeing, sry for the pun, what works is a good first step allowing yourself to mess up is the second. Now is time for me to shut up and for you to to start shooting. shooter take your position over there.

Anthony points to where he wants his newest trainee to stand.

He clears the range and makes it so Palamedes has a clear shot to his target so that he could fire without anything obstructing his shot. Also so that no by-standards would be hit if the wind took the shot off course.

The range is clear and all yours, fire when ready.
Paven Ap

Postby Palamedes » Mon May 27, 2013 9:41 pm

((Alright, I'll put one in just in case it's ok))

Palamedes moves over to the spot as directed. he raises the gun, aims carefully, and fires.

The bullet hits the target, but it is off center. Quickly, he fires another bullet, this time, taking a more reasonable amount of time to aim, shooting almost as soon as his arm was raised.

This second bullet grazes the edge of the target and does not hit.

"Well, I guess the issue isn't hitting it, it's hitting it without taking more than 5 seconds to aim."
Palamedes

Postby Paven Ap » Mon May 27, 2013 10:33 pm

Right now aiming is important. hitting is an accomplishment and you should be happy. your getting sold hits not great ones mind you but solid for at least you hitting them soon you'll hit dead on. So what if its taking you as long as it is right now your being to hard on yourself lets look at what your doing right and keep that up. Soon you won't have to aim as long if at all. Even if you do it would be so split second people won't see you do it. fire off a few more, but this time only aim once. when you do keep gun up at fixed point then bang them out one after another.

Anthony is keeping track of of his hit locations, aiming, time, stance, wind, distance of target, moving or no moving, gun used and # of shots fired. so far he was not doing bad but still has a long way to go.
Paven Ap

Postby Palamedes » Mon May 27, 2013 11:37 pm

"Got it."

He raises the gun, aims at a target, and fires it 3 times.

The first bullet sails right into the center of the target; not dead center, but close. The second hits, but off the mark. The third bullet completely misses the target.

Despite having the apparent strength and dexterity to wield fairly large broadswords with ease, when it came to guns, the recoil of even a small pistol threw his aim off.
Palamedes

Postby Paven Ap » Tue May 28, 2013 12:44 am

" Now i got what happens but i needed to see it, so the 3 shots is a good indication to see where your at. I can see when you fire your moving your hand way to much. your moving it and any slight adjustment in your hand the movement will be off the original aim point. the first shot is the key, had your hand kept the same point your hits would be near next to each other, its called grouping. If i were to shoot mine they would be in groups but so near each other you could hardly tell. your first hit mid right, you second shot top right. the way off to top far right. your doing what is a diagonal line up to the right but you started out just fine but then you kept moving and then your shots were off. my only explanation is that when your hand moves any direction so does the barrel and the bullet along with it. 3/4 shots today is not bad. arm control gets there when you get use to the gun more and the kick. So its not your eye or your aim like you originally though. like a sword in had it moves as your hand moves, the barrel is the blade the point you aim with. if you let the blade veer off you miss. you have to remember your in control of it not it controlling you. it wants to kick or jerk and that makes you miss but you use your will and strength to keep it in place. you have to tell your arm to hold in place despite what its wants to do. it hurts i know but after you fire for a few days the kick gets a bit less. we may need to find one that has little kick back as possible. yet that will not get you use to kickbacks of guns and that is important to learn. cause Liberty has a lot of kick back, but some day you may need to fire a shotgun. now i know it looks like a six shooter but it is made of hedgespun so it can fire off as many shots as you like and never have to reload the same for liberty. so pop some more off and try to keep your hand still, try your best to group them they don't have to be center."
Paven Ap

Postby Palamedes » Tue May 28, 2013 1:46 pm

"Eh? But what about moving targets? Or shooting while moving? Or maybe I'm trying to do too much right now."
Palamedes

Postby Paven Ap » Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 pm

" I like that you want to push yourself, but this is not a sprint sometimes its best to rest and come back another day fresh and ready to learn for more. yet never give up and wanting to push yourself to do better is not a bad thing. yet when you want to you also need to know your limits so that you don't over strain. An example right now of one of your limits is 1/3 shots hit. Right now trying for 20 is to extreme. for now 5-10 hits is better to push yourself for but. say you hit 11 a new personal best is now set. One day after you hit say 12 or 14. you say: I'm going for 18 in a row no misses. you hit the 18 there is no reason to stop that is until you miss. so say you miss at 22 that is your new personal bench mark. that is why setting achievable personal goals is good so you can get them but not have them so easy that you feel like its not much when you get them. you don't want the goal so far you will never get them for then you feel hopeless. I do that all the time and it helps me.

Today you made a good solid first step but until you master the things for non moving i feel its best to wait until we move on to the moving ones. I'm not trying to hold you back nor will i ever, for i want you to become a better marksmen. Who knows maybe in time you may get better then me, but today i saw a few things we need to work on first. moving targets get complicated in a hurry. Shooting someone with a hostage even more so but can still be done. Shooting while moving i in truth have not done much of but is handy in a fight. Your thinking and asking the kind of questions that need to be asked. Never think a question is lame or stupid, if you don't know ask, or if you can't find it from a person then go and do research but double check the info so that you know its right. I had to look up a few things myself and at times i'm very grateful i did. I think that is it for practice for today. If i could please have justice back"

he holds out his hand for his gun
Paven Ap

Postby Palamedes » Fri May 31, 2013 8:15 am

"Alright, thanks for the advice!"

Hands the gun back.

"and thanks for letting me borrow this."
Palamedes

PreviousNext

Return to Kickin' around in the Desert