Revisiting Sway

Any Rules questions you want to ask.

Revisiting Sway

Postby Fetch » Sun May 04, 2014 8:52 pm

People very rarely resort to draws for social interaction so this isn't a big deal but when I first wrote up the social rules I didn't have a good way to quantify Sway. As a result it's been vague leaving people with a good impression of level one and level five but not the intermediate steps.

When I wrote up Sway I also wanted to make sure the compromises would be fair. My idea was that if you agree ahead of time what X successes means you'll get a more reasonable result than if you draw first then argue about it. However while the compromises have worked well the front loading has not.

So, a spark of inspiration has, I think, solved both problems:

Sway
Sway is the ability to put social pressure on an individual to direct their actions, ranging from simple requests ("share your lunch with me") to convoluted confidence games ("I'm a Nicaraguan prince and..."). Not all social manipulation is equal: asking greater favors takes more work than minor ones. The level of a Sway is defined by it's costs, both personal and material. Only the highest value in each category counts towards Sway level so if somebody wants $100 and your token you only count the permanent cost, not the money.

0 - All sway starts at zero points.
Cost
+1 - Temporary Cost. Sway that would incur a temporary and recoverable cost such as giving someone a ride to the airport or a bit of your disposable income.
+2 - Permanent Cost. Anything that would involve a cost that is non-recoverable, such as loss of Social Merits.
Feelings
+1 - If the Sway would go against the subjects 2 or 3 point Passions/Irrationalities.
+2 - Any Sway that would contradict a 4 or 5 point Passion/Irrationality.
Morality
+1 - Any Sway that would violate an Ideal or morality sin.
+2 - Any Sway that would violate multiple Ideals/sins.

If the character making the Social test fails to get enough successes for the full Sway the defender gets to drop off aspects of the request down to a compromise that would be achievable with the number of successes rolled. For example if one is asked for $100 and their token and the aggressor only gets 2 successes one could simply give the $100, an appropriate level 2 Sway.

A character may attempt to add to an existing Sway. In this case they take the existing Sway as a penalty to their test pool and add their successes to the level of that Sway to increase it's effectiveness. The aggressor above could take a -2 to add to the money and magic Sway asking for the other's hollow instead of the token. Success would indicate victory in this bargaining.

Sway represents that the subject of a social test has been convinced but sometimes people are to stubborn to accept even the most convincing arguments. In this case a character can force themselves to ignore part or all of a Sway by buying it down with Willpower on a one-for-one basis. If this reduces the Sway below the level needed for the request the defender choses a compromise, as above. Note: When buying down Sway the full successes gained are it's level. A level 2 request for $100 is really hard to say no to if the aggressor got 6 successes.

Any aspect of Sway that would be an unacceptable order (suicide, violating an Irrationality or Ideal/Sin more than 5 levels below current Morality) can be automatically bought down. No matter how convincing you are you can't talk someone into killing themselves but they might slash their wrists just a bit if you present a compelling enough reason.

Sway exists on a character until fulfilled or reduced to 0 points. Cults, military training, and the like generally place their subjects in conditions where they have difficulty recovering Willpower to prevent them from buying down Sway, instead forcing them to fulfill it.
Fetch
Ring Member

Return to Rules Questions