EXP allotment

Any Rules questions you want to ask.

Should exp be given to the player instead of the character?

Yes
56%
No
33%
Don't Care
11%

Total votes : 18

EXP allotment

Postby Fetch » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:24 am

So I was wondering how people would feel about awarding exp to the player and letting them spend it on any character they play instead of doling it out to the individual character? Since you can only earn a given category of exp on one character in a session right now it wouldn't make a difference in how much your earn but would let you choose where to spend it without restrictions like "you never play that character, no they can't learn kung fu."

For anyone with only 1 character this would make no difference at all.
Fetch
Ring Member

Re: EXP allotment

Postby Delphinan » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:51 am

Not sure at the moment, Lucas. Specifically, would the player then get to mega-buff a new starting character?
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fier » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:35 am

I prefer giving it to the character. I feel characters we see more (and do more stuff) should grow more than characters that don't show up all that often. Even though they theoretically should have growth, no one sees them so it doesn't happen (and people *should* notice if there are changes over time, it's just those characters aren't played so mysteriously no one notices until they magically reappear again!).

Edit: Also I'm thinking justification should be more strict if you gave xp to players. Just because you have 35 xp to spend on any character doesn't mean you can pick character B and decide they were spending their hiatus building up...their strength...because they took up weightlifting as a hobby!...Yes...No retroactive "this is what they were doing while gone and no one noticed", please. Unless it really makes sense.
Last edited by Fier on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fier

Postby Grreg » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:46 am

I am also concerned about people mega buffing new characters or building a character then not playing him but giving all xp to him then bringing him out to just blow something away.

However if staff or other players want to play with a character that a player has retired he/she should be allowed to put that xp towards their newer character that they play more. (example: winter comes and everyone wants to talk with Anya but Rachel would rather play Aeee, so when she plays Anya she can use the xp got while playing Anya on Aeee. [I am not saying this is the case or her desires but just giving an example when a retired character would be getting more attention than the active character])

for that reason my vote is conditional.
Grreg

Postby Fetch » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:08 pm

Consequences of such a change would be that I would be a bit stricter on exp justification and that new characters can start with as much exp as you have spare to spend on them(usually less than 50).

Grreg wrote:However if staff or other players want to play with a character that a player has retired he/she should be allowed to put that xp towards their newer character that they play more.

This is explicitly what would be allowed by giving exp per player rather than per character. Right now whoever you're playing is who's getting the points. In case of conflict(ie you play multiple character) I decide who to give it to based on arbitrary criteria like who's first in the spreadsheet.

This would make life a little easier on my end of things and I know most or all of the people with multiple characters have asked to move exp from one character on another at one time or another.

To answer Jeff, people wouldn't be able to mega buff a single character any more then they can now by only playing one character. Mind you Theo, Matthew, and some of the other long time singleton characters are pretty buff.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Allen Lopez » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:17 pm

So then that means that let's say I play Jayne dominantly, but still submit DTA's for both Gibbs and Jayne. That just means that the XP goes to Jayne because I've played her more and I can justify what is spent because I spent time doing it.

This would make sense, in terms of experience. You can't really buff a character without a good reason. It would be like saying, I went to game and then i came back months later playing that character while playing another character and still had XP like I didn't come to game for that character.
Allen Lopez

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:45 pm

In my mind, the meatiest issue is that there has to be a reason not to play multiple characters at once. As it stands you can already have as many as two alternative characters (right?), each one with the potential for retainers, mounts, and other peripheral characters, such that a single person can command a virtual army. The best incentive to not make use of all secondary characters as extentions of a single, primary character's will is the notion that any time devoted to a secondary character is taking exp out of the primary character's mouth. You never have to role-play against your own characters, you never have to jump them as a hurtle towards your goals or so much as wonder where their loyalties lie, so without incentive an alternate character is effectively a free, incredibly powerful slave for a primary character.

Indeed, it may also bear notice that retainers and such have largely not had quite as much free will as they are meant to. It struck me a while back that, though it would be impractical for every retainer to be staff-run like Ariel, perhaps such characters could always be temporarily put under staff control when they lose social tests.
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby Fetch » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:06 pm

That gets into a large part of the reason I would like to do this. Run a couple characters and with accelerated exp and starting exp you can have two high exp characters keeping pace with everyone else in game. By combining exp into one pot accelerated exp runs out at the same rate but only dose so once. Instead of two characters with 100+ exp from acceleration you have two characters sharing 100+ points of accelerated exp. Hence instead of both (or all for those who change characters with the season) characters being able to get insane exp totals quickly you're limited to spending your exp on only those characters you really want to.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Fier » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:13 pm

Why not just use a different method to calculate accelerated so it does the same thing you want? Not totally sure how the spreadsheet works.
Fier

Postby Fetch » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:26 pm

You mean calculate accelerated off of total player exp? Because then I'd have to lump all your exp together but also keep it apart. Doable but pain in the ass. Given that one option makes my life easier and dose what I want and the other would take writing new stuff to do the same thing in a much clunkier manor it's hardly a choice.

Basically I hate exp. I hate the concept of character advancement based on metagame beanies and the ways this effects game-play and player expectations. However, as long as we are using metagame beanies to determine whether or not your character can learn kung fu I figure why not save some time and go one step more meta with the beanies. It should retard the "amazing apprentice*" and "new character = free exp" trends I've noticed and solve all the annoyance surrounding people wanting exp on this character or that character.

* ok, this one was mostly in Gates of Gold...
Fetch
Ring Member

Next

Return to Rules Questions