Registration and Sleeping Arrangements

Any Rules questions you want to ask.

Re: Registration and Sleeping Arrangements

Postby The Dragon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:04 pm

FYI Please inform staff of anything, and when I mean anything, I mean everything. Detail is better than lack of knowledge.

From what is known, currently, they are technically still in the clinic. It is important that staff knows where they are...since, things might happen. Good or bad things. There is a thread addressing sleeping arrangements. Further posts can be made in the Bellingham Sub forum.

Things IC and OOC can be warped, and bad things have occurred because of it. Just in case, please remember to inform staff on important things, say living arrangements or what their character is doing. And unless you have approval from staff, don't assume certain things happened. Players and the character are two different people, if you need a reminder about something your character would know, don't be afraid to ask.

As for new players, it is highly suggested that you read all the rules. Please do not skim. If you have any questions, after reading the rules, your are welcome to post them.
The Dragon

Postby Fayn » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm a bit confused on "down time action" and what exactly it is and how to do it.
Fayn
Changeling

Postby The Doctor » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:09 am

Downtime Actions (DTAs) are exactly that - big things your character does during downtimes between games. Big things like building a house, running for mayor, caring for all the stray cats in the neighborhood, harvesting peoples' emotions for Glamour, doing research, stalking someone, all can fall under downtime actions (general things, like your job, watering plants, buying food, usually don't fall under DTAs - DTAs are mainly specific things that will give you a benefit, not maintaining your daily life). Generally they're ways of getting stuff you want done acomplished between games. The number of DTAs you get is equal to your dots of resolve, sort of how much and often your character can push themselves into doing intensive actions without burning themselves out.

Now, there are two types of DTAs that can be submitted: normal and recurring. Normal are just that - you say you want to get something done, staff will do the draws, inform you the result, and it's done. Recurring, however, will be between each and every game (unless you specify one week to do a different normal DTA instead, or change your recurrings), so you don't need to keep re-submitting the same DTA every week.

For example!

One of my characters, with Resolve 1 (and therefore 1 DTA) burns through a lot of Glamour at games, so I send a private message to staff that as a recurring DTA I have him harvest glamour from mortals. I specify what specifically he's doing (going around banging peoples' windows in the middle of the night), what specific emotion I'm trying to harvest (fear), and anything else I think would be helpful for him to know (such as also wearing a disguise so I can't be identified if I get in trouble with the police). Eventually staff will get back to me with my draws, how much Glamour I harvested, if any, and any notable events that happened (Glamour overdose from an exceptional success, getting shot at by some redneck, police getting called).

Contrasting, I also have a character with Resolve 4 (and 4x the DTAs!). Additionally, he rarely uses Glamour, so I don't need to have him constantly harvest. So what can I do with him? Well, he's a good crafter! So I can state that I'm using all of my DTAs as recurring crafting for specific items (let's say, for example, cold iron rings). I tell staff what I'm crafting (cold iron rings), any modifiers (using the freehold's forging equipment), and anything else that would be useful (having player X and Y assist me in forging when they can).

Now, I can leave it at that, and he will keep doing things, or I can say other things that will help streamline the process. Let's say the cold iron rings take 2 successes each and I can consistently get 3 successes per crafts DTA. Well, I could just leave it at that, and waste 1 success each time I make a finished project. Alternatively, I could specify that I'm trying to make 3 rings per 2 DTAs (6 successes needed so no wasted successes), and that if I fall behind my expected successes, due to poor draws or the like, to expend power (willpower, contract activation, etc) in order to augment my following rolls higher until I catch up with my expectations.

In any case, you can always start simple, and refine your DTAs as you get more knowledge about the system and your own limitations, and decide what exactly you want to do.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Fayn » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:20 am

Oooh! So it's like important actions you do every week that requires a dice roll?

In addition, I'm still a bit confused on XP. I understand that its earned through various means such as simple interactions and how active one is. Is it like a currency for players to use to buy stats and contracts? I hear the term "buy" when relating to certain stat increases among other things.
Fayn
Changeling

Postby The Doctor » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:28 am

Yes. XP is spent on stats and merits and contracts and what have you, to signify character growth.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Noah Conner » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:39 am

The exp system is a bit unusual in this game. You earn exp that you'd spend on various advantageous things, like contracts, merits, or stats. But we have a house rule here stating that you can only spend exp on something that you can reasonably justify your character having.

For example, my character Noah is a nice guy, but he's more of a lover than a fighter. If I had 30 exp kicking around, I would have enough to buy a lot of dots in brawling, but I wouldn't necessarily be able actually do it, because there is no in game reason why Noah would be getting better at punching people out. If I wanted to turn Noah into a combat tank, I'd have to make a point of doing ground work in character. I'd have Noah sign up for a martial arts class, maybe spend a few DTA's practicing or attending regional martial arts competitions, and then I'd have have the reason I need to put a few dots in brawl.

If you want to buy something, just PM Lucas and give him your justification for your character earning what you intend to buy. It helps to think of them as achievements you earn, and exp as a sort of cap or pacing of advancement. But you will have to actually grow and develop in character. Keep in mind though, that some very high end advantages may be difficult to justify, and some things may take weeks or months of work or planning to get the 4th or 5th dot.

It may be difficult for frustrating at first, but you'll find that it adds a very unique aspect to game play. Once you get used to the system, it can be quite helpful in flushing out your character.

P.S. I see you've been posting a lot of questions about game. I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the initiative to learn the ins and outs. It's really good to see new players taking to the game so well! Please let us know if you need anything else.
Noah Conner

Postby Tree Frog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:59 am

>__< I've been working on expanding the "New Players Read Here" guide to give more info, hopefully will have it updated and up soon!
Tree Frog

Postby Fayn » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:09 am

Ha ha, I'm just scared that I might mess something up, so I have to ask all the questions I can to make sure I know what I'm doing. ^__^;;

Another thing I'm particularly wondering would be if there is set knowledge that a Changeling should know.
For example, do all Changelings know what Glamour, Pledges, and Contracts are (especially if the player themselves do not know what it is themselves)? Or is this knowledge that one earns IC?
Fayn
Changeling

Postby Fetch » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:38 am

Characters don't know the specifics of the rules but they do know the concepts. Promises can be magically bound such that breaking them is bad. Contracts extended to changelings by their keepers grant them favors from various elements and hence some measure of magic power. Glamour, glamour is the currency of passion you pay your debts to the Contract bound aspects of reality with.
Fetch
Ring Member

Previous

Return to Rules Questions