Arcadia?

Any Rules questions you want to ask.

Arcadia?

Postby Fayn » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm not quite sure, and I looked everywhere online but still have not found it. I just can't seem to picture the place of Arcadia very well, and I was wondering a few facts about it. Sorry for bombarding people with these questions. v__v;;

What is life in Arcadia like?

When people are taken, do they lose their memories of Earth?

What does it take to leave Arcadia? I can't be as simple as simply running through the Hedge at a spontaneous time.

Do Changelings interact with one another in Arcadia?

Is "Keeper" and True Fae the same thing?

Supposing that their is only one "Keeper", is everyone always under constant watch or constant torture in Arcadia?

Do Changelings remember what occurred in both Arcadia and their previous lives after escaping?
Fayn
Changeling

Re: Arcadia?

Postby Skittles » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:00 pm

So the best book to really understand the True Fae is Equinox Roads. It answers a lot of questions about Arcadia, high wyrd, etc. Winter Masques is also really good for understanding the durance and what individual kith usally went through. A lot of these questions are also answered throughout the core book.
Remember though, a lot of it will be specific to your character. Most characters have different keepers and difference durances, and some that have had the same keeper, have different experiences. What your character will remember is up to you. Some play where they don't remember anything, most play where they have fuzzy memories of what happened, some play where they remember everything. Most fresh changelings won't really understand what happened to them and what is now happening. Have fun with it, be creative! :]
Skittles

Postby Fetch » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:48 pm

Arcadia is orders of magnitude more potent, wonderful, and terrible than your most vivid dreams and nightmares. It is a place of infinite variety altho each changeling only sees but a slim fraction. When one leaves Arcadia the details blur and fade like dream-stuff upon waking. It's still there but difficult to recall with clarity, more a matter of impressions and ideas then concrete memories. Only with the heightening of Wyrd do the impressions become real and the memories those of events rather then ideas.

Have you ever had one of those dreams so vivid that upon waking you don't know whether this world or the one you woke up from is real? That it takes you some time to get your bearings and remember who you are? I imagine getting back from Arcadia is like that but when you take stock there is clear physical evidence of the dream in the form of Seeming, Kith, and Contracts.

Each changeling knows how they left Arcadia but no-one can really say what the common elements are. The one certain thing is that it takes memories of home, of earth to guide one back. None return of their own volition without this spark to light the way.
Generally changelings remember everything of their human lives, or at least as much as they remembered before they were taken.

Changelings do indeed interact with others like themselves in their keepers realm. Sometimes they even recognize others when they get back.

Given the apparent power of the Fae it is not unreasonable for a changeling to question whether they actually escaped at all. It would be just like the cruelty of the Fae to give them the illusion of freedom only to take it back making captivity all the more painful.

Finally, the True Fae are called by many names: Gentry, Keepers, Good Neighbors, Fair Folk, Furies, Aliens, Gods, Arcadian Lords, Old Ones, Kindly Ones, and of corse those better left unnamed. In general you should be able to tell from context when someone is referring to the Others.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Doctor » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:15 pm

I'd like to throw in one more name, because it's a clarifying distinction: fae, lower case, is anything pertaining to anything changeling-esque (changelings, fetches, hobgoblins, contracts, anything to due with their magicks); Fae, upper case, means the True Fae.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Fetch » Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:37 pm

Thank you. That is an important distinction to keep in mind.
Fetch
Ring Member

Return to Rules Questions