Rules under consideration

Any Rules questions you want to ask.

Re: Rules under consideration

Postby The Doctor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Okay, I understand what you meant, it's pretty good. Still harsh for the stamina 1 people, but not as harsh.

Y'know, we could also go back to the idea just before this, and just have the crippling draw be penalized by the person's stamina. So for minute damage the draw will still be there, just a chance draw (exploding 10s giving 1 success each instead of 2 each), which cuts down on the potential lethality of small injuries, and gives high stamina a benefit to the draw.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Fetch » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:09 pm

It's possible we could go back (-Stamina) altho I dislike chance draw as well, altho not as much as XA. My primary disagreement before with the idea was that it would make Size the primary factor in one's upper end on Injury draw which I didn't like. With the open ended thing this wouldn't be an issue as your injury pool can get arbitrarily high (ow, 20 damage).
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Doctor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 pm

Well yes, with the open ended track you injury pool can get really high, but with wraparound you'd be dying/dead at that point in the old system.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Fetch » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:10 pm

It is true.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Milk Waffler » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Now I know this discussion has been dormant for a while, but I feel I need to bring up the counter to bryces dislike for lasting damage from 1 bashing.

The current system, or really any system that we've played with is much more forgiving than reality.

I'm using my own personal experience as an example. I once got a concussion from walking through an open doorframe. It was on a boat and it lurched when I was walking through it. The doorframe struck me on the side of the head around the temple area. If I had been hit anywhere else, I would have shrugged off the blow like it was nothing, as I'm a tougher than average guy (for our group at least) but I got a concussion from it, from walking through a door. For hours I was passing out and vomiting all willy nilly, I also felt like complete shit. From walking through a door.

Now if you know about concussions, you'll know that it is lasting damage, it will always be easier for me to get a concussion now, that's the nature of the things.

Heck, I have a scar from a high five gone wrong, it's lasted like 4 years now.

The smallest of things have consequences, and lasting ones at that.

I also really don't like that knife fighters can be basically fully functional after a knife fight, and just dandy after a week or two. That's just plain stupid.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby The Doctor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:08 pm

Yes, but I'm not arguing that issue, and you actually cited mine.

I would have shrugged off the blow like it was nothing, as I'm a tougher than average guy

According to this system, it doesn't matter that you're tougher than average. It doesn't matter *how* tough you are, even supernaturally. Small injuries have exactly the same chance of killing someone no matter how frail or tough a person is.

Or did, if we're having the crippling injuries test be -stamina. But my complaints were before that idea came around.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Milk Waffler » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:25 pm

The point that I was trying to point out was that me, a tough guy, got a concussion by walking through a door, and my toughness didn't help a damn.

Even high stamina people can be crippled by the most menial things.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Previous

Return to Rules Questions