Social Rules Idea

Any Rules questions you want to ask.

Re: Social Rules Idea

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:15 pm

It seems to me that a good balancing factor working against the would-be will-breaker is that if his or her target can successfully reject an idea and relate it to a virtue, that target may very well be getting all spent Willpower back. Of course, this may mean that a person with Fortitude for a virtue may prove effectively immune to torture.
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby Milk Waffler » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Capt. Hobbes wrote:It seems to me that a good balancing factor working against the would-be will-breaker is that if his or her target can successfully reject an idea and relate it to a virtue, that target may very well be getting all spent Willpower back. Of course, this may mean that a person with Fortitude for a virtue may prove effectively immune to torture.

I like this idea.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby Fox Folger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:29 am

Capt. Hobbes wrote:It seems to me that a good balancing factor working against the would-be will-breaker is that if his or her target can successfully reject an idea and relate it to a virtue, that target may very well be getting all spent Willpower back. Of course, this may mean that a person with Fortitude for a virtue may prove effectively immune to torture.

Exalted doesn't use Virtues in the same sense as nWoD does, so this is something that needs to be addressed. Apart from the fact that it makes Fortitude sort of concretely better than any other virtue, I like the idea too.

Can't think of a way to tweak it to bring it into balance right now, though, and I have to go to class, so I'll think about it.
Fox Folger

Postby Fetch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 am

It doesn't make Fortitude better than other Virtues but it dose make someone with allot of Willpower and Fortitude hard to break, as well they should be. Vices can be good for resisting too. Trigger Wrath fighting back (despite the damage you take resisting) to get Willpower and hold off their influence longer.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Fox Folger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:53 am

Fetch wrote:It doesn't make Fortitude better than other Virtues but it dose make someone with allot of Willpower and Fortitude hard to break, as well they should be. Vices can be good for resisting too. Trigger Wrath fighting back (despite the damage you take resisting) to get Willpower and hold off their influence longer.

Its just that, even once you've broken them, if they continue to survive, they can just call Fort and stop being broken again, since they're back to full willpower.
Fox Folger

Postby The Doctor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:15 pm

Only if they're choosing to overcome the obstacle, which if they're broken, they can't.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Fetch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:53 pm

How useful a given Virtue or Vice is depends on situation and character to much to have a clear victor. Some are easer to use, certainly, but of the one's in the book I think Charity wins there. You can tap it any time you're sacrificing for others as opposed to Fortitude which makes you wait for someone to do something to you.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Doctor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:58 pm

Charity's easiest, hope sucks balls.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't mind lower of resolve or composure for social defense.

SUPER EDIT: Also, this is yet another social aspect that beasts can't glamour to defend themselves. Srsly, they never can use that part of their blessing. IT'S ALWAYS RESISTED. Or in the case of supernatural emotion powers, contested by resolve instead of composure.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Fox Folger » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:21 pm

Here's something weird: why do sociopaths (assuming such entities are low morality) have more passions than... anyone else?
Fox Folger

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Fox Folger wrote:Here's something weird: why do sociopaths (assuming such entities are low morality) have more passions than... anyone else?

As passions are the emotional, illogical counterpart to ideals, I would imagine that sociopaths are probably run most exclusively on these.
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Questions