A different combat idea

Any Rules questions you want to ask.

Re: A different combat idea

Postby The Doctor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:05 pm

The point of LARP, and games in general, is to have fun. Some people enjoy the D&D aspect of killing new and exciting things. Does the giant risk it poses it give any in-game benefit, like xp? No. They do it because it's how they enjoy playing the game. Taking that away I think is a bad idea because it is literally saying "let's make the game less fun".
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Tree Frog » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:12 pm

Seeing as I'm not liking where the conversation is going, I should point out that part of the appeal of a game isn't necessarily strict realism. (Now having said that, you could go that route and that would be interesting, but it's certainly not the way every game has to be run.)

(Also, damn you Bryce for posting before me.)
Tree Frog

Postby Milk Waffler » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:28 pm

The Doctor wrote:The point of LARP, and games in general, is to have fun. Some people enjoy the D&D aspect of killing new and exciting things. Does the giant risk it poses it give any in-game benefit, like xp? No. They do it because it's how they enjoy playing the game. Taking that away I think is a bad idea because it is literally saying "let's make the game less fun".

Now I would argue that making combat more dangerous wouldn't make the game less fun. I for one am not a fan of huge combat scenes that last for six hours due to the low lethality of anything forcing a large deal of back and fourth.

My enjoyment of games where peoples go-to response to things is combat fades quickly. For me at least it makes the game very one dimensional and not fun.

I'd also think that if fighting were dangerous, then people wouldnt get away with enough for long enough to pull in giant forces like TfV, that do little more than punish the playerbase on a sweeping scale. "Having fun in the circus? well too bad, it was raided and destroyed by the government.

The CdP at least is stuck in a an aquard limbo of unrealitic rules, and realistic consequences.

It would also make magical healing be more than a time saver, which in all truth, is all it is now. It would make dodge monkeys much better since all they can really do now is "delay the inevitable".

To state my argument: Give high lethality a chance, it may be a good way to go, and if you dont like it, then don't use it. What I'm hearing is a lot of people not even willing to try it.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby Delphinan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Milk Waffler wrote:To state my argument: Give high lethality a chance, it may be a good way to go, and if you dont like it, then don't use it. What I'm hearing is a lot of people not even willing to try it.

I think you are missing the essential cost of attempting your argument: the highly likely loss of invested characters by players, potentially multiple. So yes, it does not surprise me you are hearing that.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Milk Waffler » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm not saying doing it with your established characters, that's like saying you should test drugs on humans right out of development. It doesn't take much to make some new ones to try out a supposed system. Or use copies of your existing ones.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby Merch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:27 pm

( not that he is back but I would like to point something out). A mini game test would point out good and bad of the new system. Game testers get paid to test games before they are put in the open market, at least the good ones are. I see no reason to set aside a time before or during game, to "test it". characters will not be counted dead(as in if you use that character the are dead in the real game, so unlike the Matrix ) do to it is a game test. I would ask for anyone who will do it to take it seriously, "I charge at the command squad line" if you have stamina 2 and no combat skill. Play it as you would your real character would in game. That way you can see what the new system would do in the real game.
Merch

Previous

Return to Rules Questions