Social and Other Tweaks

Any Rules questions you want to ask.

Social and Other Tweaks

Postby Fetch » Tue May 10, 2011 11:32 am

Despite a few holdouts I think the new social rules have worked out well. I'll need to edit the text and post them to the wiki but I thought of a few tweaks while psyching up for that.

Ideals
When taking actions contrary to a Passion in service of an Ideal characters may reduce the penalty inflicted by the Passion by the strength of the Ideal. You may not want to fight your friend but it's easer if you know you're doing what's right.

This gives us a clear difference between (demi)humans with their morality and believing in things and soulless beings like hobs and spirits. The later are bound only by their feelings, not by what is righteous.

Willpower
Willpower gets bumped from one point at a time to being spendable one one thing at a time. A character can invoke one innate ability or supernatural power with Willpower per test or round, whichever is longer, no matter how many points that might be.

Mortal Innate Abilities:
• Heroic Effort - A character can draw upon the strength of their feelings in times of need. A point of Willpower lets the character add the intensity of a Passion related to the action as a bonus to the test pool or resistance trait. Any given pool can only benefit from Heroic Effort once. Each Passion invoked with Heroic Effort counts as a different innate ability.
* this would drop default willpower to +2 (short term Passion spawned at will) but would make long term Passions more impressive and would let people try very hard to both attack and defend provided their feelings lead that direction.

I don't recall anything else Willpower dose Raw but some other possibilities are:
• Buckling Down - In the past I've unofficially supported spending Willpower for extra DTA's altho there should be a strict limit on in. Maybe up to one extra DTA for a Willpower?

• Adrenaline High - Michael has suggested that character should be able to spend Willpower to extend the time between the end of combat and the Injury test, basically keep running on adrenaline a little longer. Maybe a minuet per Willpower? Or Resolve minuets?

Thoughts?
Fetch
Ring Member

Re: Social and Other Tweaks

Postby Fox Folger » Tue May 10, 2011 3:39 pm

Fetch wrote:Despite a few holdouts I think the new social rules have worked out well. I'll need to edit the text and post them to the wiki but I thought of a few tweaks while psyching up for that.

Ideals
When taking actions contrary to a Passion in service of an Ideal characters may reduce the penalty inflicted by the Passion by the strength of the Ideal. You may not want to fight your friend but it's easer if you know you're doing what's right.

This gives us a clear difference between (demi)humans with their morality and believing in things and soulless beings like hobs and spirits. The later are bound only by their feelings, not by what is righteous.

Willpower
Willpower gets bumped from one point at a time to being spendable one one thing at a time. A character can invoke one innate ability or supernatural power with Willpower per test or round, whichever is longer, no matter how many points that might be.

Mortal Innate Abilities:
• Heroic Effort - A character can draw upon the strength of their feelings in times of need. A point of Willpower lets the character add the intensity of a Passion related to the action as a bonus to the test pool or resistance trait. Any given pool can only benefit from Heroic Effort once. Each Passion invoked with Heroic Effort counts as a different innate ability.
* this would drop default willpower to +2 (short term Passion spawned at will) but would make long term Passions more impressive and would let people try very hard to both attack and defend provided their feelings lead that direction.

I don't recall anything else Willpower dose Raw but some other possibilities are:
• Buckling Down - In the past I've unofficially supported spending Willpower for extra DTA's altho there should be a strict limit on in. Maybe up to one extra DTA for a Willpower?

• Adrenaline High - Michael has suggested that character should be able to spend Willpower to extend the time between the end of combat and the Injury test, basically keep running on adrenaline a little longer. Maybe a minuet per Willpower? Or Resolve minuets?

Thoughts?

I do like the idea of Heroic Effort drawing a distinction between short and long term passions-- I'm not sure its really necessary though. Its only a drop of one die, though, so not that big a deal in my mind.

On Adrenaline High, I prefer the idea of doing it as [Resolve] minutes per willpower-- that might get a tad confusing with the LARP's format, though, since time is somewhat hard to keep track of to that degree of precision.
Fox Folger

Postby Fetch » Tue May 10, 2011 4:20 pm

Admittedly the difference between 1 minuet and Resolve minuets will be fluff, 9 times out of 10, altho it's likely to matter to first aid. Better to make those first aid tests before you find out your hand is broken.

edit: Almost forgot, yes, +2 vs +3 isn't a big difference but the real difference is that now you should explicitly be thinking about why the given action is important to your character. Scared for my life(+2) is easy enough. Really want the mechanical advantage because my pool is low(+2)? Doesn't have the same ring to it. Admittedly I can see why some people wouldn't like the change in style but I find people who are forced to think about their characters motivations more are less likely to treat them as disposable pawn, a major upside in my book.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Delphinan » Tue May 10, 2011 4:28 pm

Fetch wrote:Admittedly the difference between 1 minuet and Resolve minuets will be fluff, 9 times out of 10, altho it's likely to matter to first aid. Better to make those first aid tests before you find out your hand is broken.

The thought and image of someone spending Willpower like crazy to avoid noticing their own decapitation amuses me. :lol:
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Tue May 10, 2011 4:31 pm

And yet it happens. Note chickens, obviously more willpower than any other farm animal :D
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Fox Folger » Wed May 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Fetch wrote:And yet it happens. Note chickens, obviously more willpower than any other farm animal :D

And, of course, situations involving sealed boxes and quantum uncertainty will allow you to spend willpower until someone outside the box observes you, at which point the fatality of the injury is determined.
Fox Folger

Return to Rules Questions