Exploding Dice

Any Rules questions you want to ask.

Exploding Dice

Postby Fetch » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Don't you hate it when you get shrapnel in your eye from a '10'? Er right. Anyway, 10-again and 1-again are refereed to as exploding because they let you get wildly good or bad luck far outside the range of 1 to 10. Personally I like exploding dice because it means even the best can fail if their luck is bad enough and someone can no skill can win ever once and a while. For this reason I don't like the no-10-again rule.

If others are amenable to it I was thinking I'd like to trade out no-10-again, such as from Seeming Curses, for 2-agains. That way Beasts would be able to do any Intelligence task anyone else can do if they get lucky but would be more likely to screw up than others, instead of being just as likely to fail as others but absolutely incapable of doing as well as others.

So, what do people think? Should Wizened be absolutely incapable of getting noticed or should they just fail at it more often then anyone else?
Fetch
Ring Member

Re: Exploding Dice

Postby The Doctor » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:43 pm

It's certainly an interesting idea, and one that I'm not opposed to.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:43 pm

That sounds like something I could get behind. It does seem odd that there can be "no ten-again" circumstances if there's no such thing as a "no one-again".
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby The Doctor » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:53 pm

There is, but it's an optional rule that we don't use.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Fetch » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:59 pm

1-again only exists in larp. Outside the card draw mechanic and a few things like fighting styles all the rules originate in table top. Hence no no-1-again. Stack on that no-1-again is mechanically problematic and you can see why it's not around.

Even if 1 remains -5 and simply don't re-draw it's still not hard to make a character who's literally incapable of failing. As one once a day mid level Hearth power it's amazingly good. As a kith blessing or similar? Completely broken.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Milk Waffler » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:13 pm

I can get behind this idea.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby Case » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Do eet.
Case

Postby Delphinan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:10 pm

I'm going to run the numbers for the two options tomorrow. Let me think about this as I believe it allows far more successes than failures than is expected.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:37 pm

I expect it should be less harsh than no-10-again. It's been far to long since probability for me to do this right but the simple version is:

Both 10-again and 2-again have a 1/10 chance of triggering but in the event of triggering 10-again means your draw goes from 1-10 to 11-20 while 2-again sends your draw down to -4 to 5, about half the decrease that the 10 gains. The actual math is allot more complicated because of the explosion but for out purpose it's not that bad.

On the subject of 2-again, for simplicity and consistency sake it would make sense if a '1' drawn after a 10 were still a -5. That way 2-again would be a little worse and we wouldn't need to explain to noobs again and again that you ignore a '1' after a 10. Basically 1 (and 2, if you've got that curse) is always -5, not just -5 if it's drawn first.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Milk Waffler » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:48 pm

It makes the handicapped handicapable!
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Next

Return to Rules Questions