Exploding Dice

Any Rules questions you want to ask.

Re: Exploding Dice

Postby Delphinan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:18 am

I would be more worried about the 'reattempt' that allows one to keep drawing for the 10 for a limited pool, allowing one to increase the chances for the multiple-success draw and avoid the dramatic failures.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:41 am

If you're drawing a 10 you aren't getting a dramatic failure or even a failure even with no-10-again. Meanwhile the 2-again doubles your odds of getting -5, draw again as well as the chances of the same on the next draw and so on, which is where dramatic failures come from.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Delphinan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:30 am

Sorry, I meant to reattempts (at cumulative -1/draw) that allow non-successful draws to be retried. A dramatic failure does stop the ability to try again, if I recall, but the possibility of a non-success being able to eventually draw into the exploding 10-again is where I am seeing far more successes (and critical successes) being generated overall.

Again, I'll have to run the numbers.

Current Thought: perhaps no critical success (5+ successes) as part of 2-again curse? So they are never as good as others without the 'magical' curse, even if it defies mundane logic, but could still succeed at times.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:51 am

Dramatic failures often do stop further attempts. It depends on the situation but the classic example is snapping your lock picks off in the keyhole. You can still attempt to get past the door but picking it is not an option. In the case of out Beast Seeming, research into salamanders. Failure means you don't learn anything (new) but dramatic failure would likely mean your research turns out great. Turns out the little amphibians live in lava and have shaggy white fur that's un-burnable!

There are cases where you could try again after a dramatic failure. Working in the forge you might burn yourself on a dramatic failure. You can have another go at it but owe. Even then keep in mind we don't allow drilling your pool below 0 with the cumulative -1 so you still only have limited tries to get it right.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Doctor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:02 am

I do like this, because it changes the "beast at a chance draw for intelligence has equal chance of fucking up as getting a success". That's just awkward.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Fetch » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:17 am

The best part is that if we were playing RAW chance die would override no-10-again. That means by raw if you can't make enough successes with your normal no-10-again pool then your only strategy is to knock your head against the wall until the penalties have you on a chance die and you can now get enough successes if you're lucky enough to get that many 10's...

Way back in the day Jared and I agreed this was stupid and should be stomped by just applying no-10-again to chance dice.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Delphinan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Fetch wrote:your only strategy is to knock your head against the wall until the penalties have you on a chance die and you can now get enough successes if you're lucky enough to get that many 10's...

Which explains Doctor Brown's shovel weapon...with it, he can bash himself with it enough times to solve the Unified Theory of Relativity on a slow day.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Milk Waffler » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Beause you know, the brightest scientists in the world havent been able to do that without tons of extra dimensions.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby The Doctor » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Obviously they just have the misfortune not to be played by me and my lucky hands.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Milk Waffler » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:57 pm

It's actually that they're just not beastly enough.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Questions