Kiths and Hobs

Any Rules questions you want to ask.

Kiths and Hobs

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:47 pm

Here's a thought: though fluff-wise, the concept of a "kith" is strictly a changeling thing, would it be acceptable to have a retainer effectively buy the three-point version of the "Dual Kith" merit in order to take on the benefits of one of the kiths? Alternatively, might it be okay to custom build some small quirk of their being and have a point value assigned to it? When designing these guys, it just feels odd that they're so much more homogenous than changelings, who are themselves not even native to the eldritch world.
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Re: Kiths and Hobs

Postby Fetch » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:54 pm

Hobs certainly have Kiths or kith like abilities. I know I've given a number of hedge-beasts in CdP custom abilities albeit usually in the "seeming slot" with a bonus and a drawback. Conscience, for example, can recover Willpower from any Virtue but cannot get any Willpower from Vice. Obviously balance is important here.

Hobs that are based off an animal of some kind may have advantages and disadvantages from that. Lack of opposable thumbs is a common drawback while higher movement speed and claws/fangs are common upsides.

In addition to the above there's also Wyrd Evolution Merits. Lethal Mien and Siren Song make for cool hobs.

Also remember that Hobs get Contracts to expand their meta-human abilities. A hob that can summon fire doesn't need a psudo-kith of questionable balance when it can get Contracts of Elements: Fire.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Glad you mentioned that, because that was something else I was unclear about; I knew that hobs could buy the universal contracts, but I thought the jury was still out as to whether they can get the others, and how much it would cost for them (at least as far as the hobs bought as a PC's merits go).

Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby Fetch » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:52 pm

Well what constitutes favored vs non-favored cost is up for debate. I've run with giving one to three Seeming Contracts that are closely linked with the hob as favored. A living flame might consider Elements and Communion: Fire to be favored because they are directly tied to the hob concept. Common Contracts I give at favored cost and Court Contracts I give as always non-favored.

edit: Also worth noting not all hobs have a Wyrd score. Those without a bond to the Wyrd can't get Contracts but their also going to be less magical in general.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:48 pm

As the retainer rules have it, all retainer hobs have wyrd.

Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby Fetch » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:02 pm

Most people want powerful hobs with Wyrd and Contracts. You could take a "mortal" hob without such benefits. Looking back at the text I wrote for the unified Retainer I can see where the confusion lies.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:10 pm

Now, am I right in thinking that courts are something entirely exclusive for changelings? What about court goodwill?

Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby Milk Waffler » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:18 pm

Most courts are exclusive to changelings, RAW goes out of it's way to state that for every court but night and day, which states that they were created by two wayward fae.

Soo, there is a precidence for having hobs with mantle, so long as it's day or night.

If you're going the pirate route as I overheard somewhere, night would be pretty beneficial and somewhat thematically appropriate.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby Fetch » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Precedent would be if they stated up a hob with Mantle or something requiring Mantle (like the Huntsman having Eternal Autumn 5 :roll: ). Rather there is suggestion that hobs and other fae might be able to join Night and Day.
</technicality>

Anyone can get Court Goodwill. One of the books even talks about fetchs* earning Court Goodwill and feeling like they are a part of the Court.

* or it might have been mortals...
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Doctor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:53 pm

Autumn nightmares says that even the Fae can get goodwill, although it's rare (which still wouldn't allow for Autumn 5 on the huntsman...they just fucked up there). It also states that they cannot get mantle, which...well, is also contradicted. Hooray for consistency.
The Doctor
Changeling

Next

Return to Rules Questions