Re: On Hunter

Postby Delphinan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:28 am

Don't forget the garlic. ;)
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Dean » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:20 pm

they need attack garlic :P
I sometimes mean to say something than what you hear, but have some faith, I mean something good behind everything.
"We are not a perfect people, but we are called to a perfect mission."~Andrew Jackson
Dean
Account Deactivated

Postby Sebastian » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:25 pm

How about a flamethrower loaded with garlic oil? A garlic powder grenade? Iron Chef Mario Batali on speed dial? Could we use scallions instead?

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Daniel
Sebastian
Changeling

Postby max » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: Attack Garlic...

I'm concerned we'd have to use camarilla rules to get a suitable level of lethality, and then how would we ever harvest the stuff? I mean, it's great that attack garlic probably has it's own stats and everything, but that means you have to basically defeat it in combat to harvest it. Then, after you've kicked its ass to get it out of the ground, you've got to convince it to work FOR you instead of WITH your enemies! (Attack Garlic! I choose you!)

More trouble than it's worth. Give me an uzi and a disposable mook any day....
max
Player

Postby Dean » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:25 am

mm clearly we just need to cross breed it from those tomatoes that broke out in the late seventies.
If they don't obey, we can just scrap them for sauce.. it will be like meals on wheels.
I sometimes mean to say something than what you hear, but have some faith, I mean something good behind everything.
"We are not a perfect people, but we are called to a perfect mission."~Andrew Jackson
Dean
Account Deactivated

Postby Maestro » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:41 pm

Jared Thaler wrote:Okay, I've just started reading Hunter, and I'm skipping around a bit, mostly to look at certain things. But I feel like I need to throw some things out here. (And I need to bitch before my head explodes.)

All these positions are preliminary, till I can discuss them with the rest of Staff

Demons

So... After spending all this time building up a beautiful little gnosticly inspired cohesive cosmology... Apparently WW has decided that the WoD is in fact actually christian, That there actually is a Satan, and that he has minions of evil to send out into the world.

Yeah.

So, um, we won't be using that part of the book.

Spirits and goetic conjurations fill that knitch just fine already. Certainly, while PC's are welcome to believe in whatever deities and anti deities they desire, neither Satan nor God, nor any of their direct servitors will be appearing in game.

(This doesn't necessarily rule out people or beings who claim to be god, believe they are god, or just plain feel they *ought* to be god from putting in an appearance.)

It's probably safe to assume that any references to Demons in the Hunter book refer in actual fact to Goetic inner demons, manifesting some person's vice. Either ones created by a mage, or ones which have found some other way to be made manifest.

Having finally gotten around to reading the Demon part of the book, I think this is a bit overstated. Nothing about the demons as described dictates them being straight out of Christian cosmology. The material provided on their origins and nature is so scant and vague that it could be interpreted as anything; when I saw it, my first thought was that it described the Ascension War as usual (the one that knocked down the Celestial Ladder), and my second was that it described the creation of Pandemonium. It says nothing about God, Satan, or anything else like that; some demons might phrase it that way to people from a Western background, but that doesn't mean anything--we're talking about a whole passel of liars and cons who like taking advantage of their targets' cultural backgrounds to communicate; they might even change form and nature depending on where they show up, seeming Christian-demony in the West while appearing like Hindu demons in India and like the malevolent spirits of Chinese folklore in China. Thus, references to being 'infernal' and 'Hell' would be more a factor of White Wolf writing for Western audiences, who live in places where demons do manifest themselves as the Christian creatures.

But then, that's just my take on it.
"Don’t—shine.

Don’t seek to shine.

Burn."
--Richard Mitchell
Maestro

Postby Bookwyrm » Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:08 pm

Yeah.. but it's basically the same thing, only with the serial numbers filed off..
FNORD FNORD FNORD FNORD FNORD FNORD FNORD FNORD FNORD FNORD FNORD FNORD
Bookwyrm

Postby Sebastian » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:06 pm

Bookwyrm wrote:Yeah.. but it's basically the same thing, only with the serial numbers filed off..

Presenting familiar legends and cosmologies with the serial numbers barely filed off has a long tradition in World of Darkness... and nearly every other RPG out there. Take it as you will. The real issue here is tastefulness, and I think most of us realize that real-world religious figures should make an appearance in-game. At best, the GM will be putting his (or her) words into said deity's mouth, which could easily give offense. Bringing in demons as mischevious spirits as fine. Naming one Baalzebub would not be a good idea. Naming a beneficient spirit Jeshua ben Joseph would be an even worse idea.

Daniel
Sebastian
Changeling

Postby Vellum » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Dean wrote:they need attack garlic :P

The 3e Ravenloft reboot had a fairly nasty attack garlic in the Van Richten's Arsenal supplement-- the stuff, when a clove was thrown at a vampire, would take root and burrow through their veins(!) attempting to take up the blood(!!).

Little catch, though-- to cultivate it you had to water normal garlic with vampires' blood...
Vellum
Changeling

Postby SamTing » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:13 pm

Vellum wrote:
Dean wrote:they need attack garlic :P

The 3e Ravenloft reboot had a fairly nasty attack garlic in the Van Richten's Arsenal supplement-- the stuff, when a clove was thrown at a vampire, would take root and burrow through their veins(!) attempting to take up the blood(!!).

Little catch, though-- to cultivate it you had to water normal garlic with vampires' blood...

There's actually something similar to that in Vampire: the Requiem's Ghouls book--ghouled plants called Mandrigora. They drink vampire blood, turn all kinds of nasty, seek out more blood with their roots and vines, and produce a fluid called lacrima that vampires drink like wine and find incredibly addicting. Sadly, I don't think they've been turned into garlic grenades.
SamTing
Changeling

Previous

Return to Setting Discussion