Mod: Group Site Logo

Discussions of any technical geektastic discussion-type thingies related to the administration of these forums that the rest of us nontechnical non-geektastic discussion-type people would find utterly uninteresting.

Y'all have been computer-geek ghettoized.

Mod: Group Site Logo

Postby Delphinan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:36 pm

The Group attributes have been expanded to include an optional site-level logo. This allows a Group to be configured to show a specific, uploadable or remote, logo in place of the default site logo if that Group is the default group for the viewing user or, by preference, the group that provides read access to the currently viewed forum.

To support this, the default site logo has been updated to the Davis Games logo. Administrators can set group logos as needed to support game-specific branding.

Ex: The Davis Games shows for a user that is not logged in. Upon logging in to an account that defaults to the Cirque Player group, the site logo changes to a circus tent logo and remains such for use of the User Control Panel and browsing through the forums, until entering the Arkham forum where the group Arkham Players has a Chthulu logo, which then appears on the site.

Tech details:
Additions to the phpbb_groups table of 4 fields (group_logo, group_logo_type, group_logo_width, group_logo_height) that mimic the avatar_ fields in the same table.
The ACP Groups template is updated to support uploading this new image and storing it. Note that the avatar gallery is not available for the group logo image.
The text for PHP functions adm/index.php, includes/acp/functions_groups.php, includes/functions.php, includes/functions_user.php, ucp.php, downloads/file.php, and language/en/mods/group_logo.php have been modified to store and fetch the new Group fields.
When determining the site logo in functions.php, the algorithm is to check all groups the user is part of that specify a site group logo. If a forum is being viewed, this list of groups is filtered by those that grant access (authorization option f_read -> ACL_YES) to the current forum. If the user's default group is part of the resultant set of groups, that group's logo is used for the site. Else, if any groups remain in the set and a forum is being viewed, the last group fetched from the db is used to determine the logo. In all cases where a group logo is not determined for use, the default site logo is used.

To support this new type of avatar, group logo, the upload avatar function now populates a psuedo-group-avatar with a filename as 'gl'<group_id> in addition to the normal group avatar of 'g'<group_id>. The file.php fetch method is also modified to allow avatars starting with the 'gl' prefix.

As the logic now uses the get_user_avatar function of functions_display.php, this module is now required for use with UCP and ACP requests, which the starting php of each has been modified.

Please report any problems or questions or concerns with this new MOD to the site admin, or as a reply here to this thread.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Re: Mod: Group Site Logo

Postby Matthew » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:25 pm

This is what he does for fun, folks... :)
Matthew
Changeling

Postby Delphinan » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:12 am

Yes, sad isn't it?

As I told Bryce yesterday, ala Humpty Dumpty, the question between me and code is which is to be the master. :ugeek:

Merry Christmas folks! And if Gates of Eden and Arkham staff want to send a gif for a site logo, I'll add it in. :)
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:24 am

I submmit this as possible logo for the Eden game:

Matthew
Changeling

Postby Fetch » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:39 pm

*blink, blink*
Interesting.
Not exactly anything I ever woke up thinking "we really need" but nifty none the less. Perhaps I shall try to photoshop seasonal board avatars for the courts.

Merry Xmas!
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Lyssa » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Southern Court needs an avatar.....just sayin'.
Lyssa

Postby Delphinan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:02 am

Fetch wrote:*blink, blink*
Interesting.
Not exactly anything I ever woke up thinking "we really need" but nifty none the less. Perhaps I shall try to photoshop seasonal board avatars for the courts.

The seasonal logos can be made, yes. This was mainly driven by the fact that here and at the tabletop RPG forums there are multiple games (like the House game, Arkham, etc.). So, the board now can brand itself for a player's games.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Delphinan » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

The bug introduced by this MOD preventing the usage of Compose Private Message should now be fixed.

Sorry for any problems composing messages.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Delphinan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:32 pm

A bug reporting invalid function 'get_user_avatar' in the functions.php when using a link from the user control panel to view any page from a non-standard folder of private messages (ex. click '2' to view the next page of private messages in a personal folder) has been corrected.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Delphinan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:12 pm

A bug reporting repeated declaration of function 'display_forums' in the functions_display.php when bringing up the Avatar section of Managing a User in the Admin Control Panel has been corrected.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Return to Board Technical Administration