Wiki Captcha

Discussions of any technical geektastic discussion-type thingies related to the administration of these forums that the rest of us nontechnical non-geektastic discussion-type people would find utterly uninteresting.

Y'all have been computer-geek ghettoized.

Wiki Captcha

Postby Delphinan » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:42 pm

The MediaWiki Captcha, ConfirmEdit (SimpleCaptcha), for MediaWiki 1.15.0 has been installed on the wiki associated to this board.

A Captcha is a security measure designed to require user-interaction and hence disallow automation from accessing the restricted functions. This usually is by presenting a question or image to the user who must then provide an specific answer that may be calculated or read before allowing the wiki function to be used. The ConfirmEdit captcha will require new account creations, failed login attempts (3+) and addition of urls to content to calculate a simple equation and provide the answer in a text field.

The delivered ConfirmEdit captcha provides a simple equation of the form 'x + y' or 'x - y' where X is between 0 and 100, and y is between 0 and 10, with plus or minus being randomly selected.

To avoid automation that may be able to 'read' the delivered protection, the equation generator has been customized to show equations of the form (x +/- y) * z +/- t. In this, all plus/minus operators are randomly selected, the multiplication sign is constant, and x in the range of (0 to 100), y (0,10), z(3,20), t(1,100).

Please post here or contact system admin if any problems with this extension.

(Note: other captchas are available and can be reviewed for suitability and security. Also, since the wiki and phpbb run on different extension formats, the captchas used for one system are not delivered compatible with the other. Hence, different captchas for both board and wiki without significant work to rewrite any desired one in the other system's format)
Delphinan
Site Admin

Re: Wiki Captcha

Postby Fetch » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:19 pm

W00T!
Thanks, no more wikibots :)
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:45 pm

Tried to open a new account for Garden of Eden and couldn't get the captcha to work; it simply won't let me drag the items to the other list.
With a heave-hi, lurkin' off the shore!
As wily as a devil with a couple vices more!
And with a ho-hi, from the pilots to the swabs
He's the finest of the pirates and they call him Captain Hobbes!

~From the Ballad of Captain Hobbes
Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby Fetch » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:27 am

What browser do you use?
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Delphinan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:59 am

Capt. Hobbes wrote:Tried to open a new account for Garden of Eden and couldn't get the captcha to work; it simply won't let me drag the items to the other list.

1) Do you have Javascript enabled? It must be enabled to allow your browser to do the magic drag-n-drop. If you do not, do you have checkboxes for the selecting (the non-javascript option).

2) What browser are you using?

3) If you don't just need to enable javascript, could you send a screenshot to cininbar@davisgames.com please? Thanks.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 pm

I use Windows Internet Explorer; there was a new version recently, and it would appear that in installing it my Java got knocked out or something. I reinstalled Java, but it doesn't seem to be working correctly, so right now it would appear that the problem is entirely on my end.

Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby Delphinan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:26 pm

Capt. Hobbes wrote:I use Windows Internet Explorer; there was a new version recently.

Internet Explorer 8?
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Capt. Hobbes » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:08 pm

Nine.

Capt. Hobbes
Admiral

Postby Delphinan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:28 am

There are reports of a javascript issue with IE9. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this sooner rather than later.

One site suggests trying Control-F5 while viewing the problematic web page, it occasionally works.

Otherwise, try disabling javascript and register...there is a fallback for non-javascript users that displays checkboxes for sorting the list.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fox Folger » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:09 am

Or pick up a better browser. Fire Fox has served me well for years now. You'd have to pay me to use IE.
Fox Folger

Next

Return to Board Technical Administration