Wiki Captcha

Discussions of any technical geektastic discussion-type thingies related to the administration of these forums that the rest of us nontechnical non-geektastic discussion-type people would find utterly uninteresting.

Y'all have been computer-geek ghettoized.

Re: Wiki Captcha

Postby Delphinan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:07 am

Fox Folger wrote:You'd have to pay me to use IE.

Actually, they do pay me. :D

But I use Chrome when not at work. And wish that Skyfire still worked on my mobile.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fox Folger » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:24 am

Delphinan wrote:
Fox Folger wrote:You'd have to pay me to use IE.

Actually, they do pay me. :D

But I use Chrome when not at work. And wish that Skyfire still worked on my mobile.

Hay, at least they know what their browser is worth :P
Fox Folger

Postby Alabastor Swill » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:17 pm

Alright, I'm in. Thanks.
Swillco: Home of the deadliest placebo ever conceived.
Alabastor Swill

Postby Delphinan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:53 pm

Wow, the forum and wiki got a lot of registration and wiki-edit requests on May 24th thru 26th (I noticed a spike of about +100Megs/day of traffic).

So far, I see no new user accounts and unwanted edits. The captcha seems to be holding the line so far. :mrgreen:
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Delphinan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:48 pm

With three new users in 36 hours, all from servers outside the US, the wiki captcha has been modified: The $c variable (shown as Z of the math equation at the top of this thread) is now spelled out as a word, ex. 3=three, 14=fourteen, etc. during display on the wiki.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Delphinan » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:52 am

Sometime during the weekend of July 30th, 2011, the wiki will be updated to capture all attempts at the wiki captcha.

Several users have been created on the wiki recently (a small number given the registration attempts according to the server log), so capturing the actual question and answer (and if a subsequent spam update fails because of the captcha) would be useful knowledge. It may be that the users created are succeeding at random based on the original wiki capture algorithm; which range of possible answers can be avoided for further protection.

This change should have no impact to use of the wiki system. Please report any problems here or to the Delphinan forum user.

Thank you.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Delphinan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:01 pm

Several of the recent attempts at registration to the wiki have tried an automated answer to the math captcha of '0' (zero). These can be seen to be 'bots' as the time between serving the registration page and getting it filled out is less than two seconds. :roll:

In response, the equation generator now never makes an equation with a solution of zero. This is accomplished by adjusting the last term ($d, also known as the variable t in the first post of this thead), subtracting one from this and adjusting the solution answer accordingly, when the original answer would be zero, making the new answer +/- 1. This adjusts the range of $d/t from (1,100) to (0,100) effectively, and denies the current bots their preprogrammed chance answer.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Milk Waffler » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:03 pm

The Delphinan, robot wrangler.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

Postby Delphinan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:35 pm

At least I am slowly weeding out the script-kiddie wanna-be hackers. ;)
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Milk Waffler » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Thank you Jeff, you make for us a very good and extremely well maintained forum in which we can use however suits our fancy. It is greatly appreciated.
“Most people don’t realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer.”
Milk Waffler

PreviousNext

Return to Board Technical Administration