The pledge token thing

Place to work out character backstories, dreams, goals, motivations, and other concepts.
Forum rules
Two rules:
1. Don't post anything you don't want everyone to read.
2. Don't metagame. If your character wouldn't legitimately know to ask, then don't. That's cheating, and makes staff cry.

Re: The pledge token thing

Postby Delphinan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Enigmia wrote:free will?

An oath on a Changeling fantasy? :twisted:
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Free Will would be appropriate, fantasy or not :roll:
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enigmia » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Alright, still the lack of keeper/needing three slots thing though right?
Enigmia

Postby Fetch » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Well with no keeper you only have two Oath slots so you can only get Soul-spun twice for the discount meaning you need 8 slots, 2 of which are your oaths. That leaves you needing 6 dots to be covered by standard slots which means you're probably getting into Corporals and swearing on Allies, Retainers, or the like because I'm pretty sure Clair isn't Wyrd 4+.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enigmia » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Alright, so what counts as a corporal besides the things mentioned already?
Enigmia

Postby Delphinan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:29 pm

Objects with special meaning or significance.

For example, in the circus game, there was a recurring oath by the performers sworn on a large orange circus tie worn by the Ringmaster.

Another popular example might be a knight swearing an oath 'on the Round Table'.
Delphinan
Site Admin

Postby Fetch » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:05 pm

Every character gets one "free" corporal on something not mechanically represented whether it's your wedding ring or your Blockbuster card*. If you break the pledge (spun) you WILL be permanently separated from whatever that thing represents, your spouse in the first, Blockbuster in the second.

You can have as many more corporals as you like but they must represent menacingly relevant stats, things on the character sheet such as Social Merits, Wyrd, Mantle, or your Entitlement. You can also use a nemesis, a third party who agrees to cast a Contract to curse you if you break the promise and who will know when the pledge is broken.

So I guess Clair could have the Seeming one (Wyrd), and a nemesis providing two dots. She's courtless, has no entitlement, and no Social Merits I know of. The "free" corporal is specifically some tie the changeling has to mortal society and I don't know what Clair has in that regard, if anything.

* This is a real example from the book!
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enigmia » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:53 am

I didn't think Blockbuster was around anymore, lol.
Explain "tie to mortal society" please?
Enigmia

Postby Fetch » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Mortal society, also known as human society, should be self explanatory. It's people, regular humans, individually and collectively. A tie to mortal society is something that ties the changeling to this.

A strong tie might be marriage. You are connected to humans because you are married to one. A weak tie might be your membership with, say, the Co-op. You are tied to humans because you are a member of their organization.

Things that would not qualify as ties to mortal society would be relationships with other changelings, membership in a freehold, or anything else involving the supernatural.

* Blockbuster was still around when C:tL was published. Hence why it was an example.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enigmia » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:19 pm

....Well. I honestly have no idea then. Suggestion box for the peanut gallery is officially open.
Enigmia

PreviousNext

Return to Character Development