The pledge token thing

Place to work out character backstories, dreams, goals, motivations, and other concepts.
Forum rules
Two rules:
1. Don't post anything you don't want everyone to read.
2. Don't metagame. If your character wouldn't legitimately know to ask, then don't. That's cheating, and makes staff cry.

The pledge token thing

Postby Enigmia » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Throwing this here since it seems to be the best place for it. Also because I really need the help. :P
So the things being transferred are;
-Physical skills plus one specialty
-Some merits
-Kith and seeming
-Contracts

Which means (far as I can tell) that it needs;
-Pledge token, one dot so there are two of them
-Duration Distortion, one dot
-Soul spun if I need even more dots...?
-Entrust, possibly four dots?
And... I think that's it. Nothing else seems to apply from the rule list. Am I missing anything, and how does this translate?
Enigmia

Re: The pledge token thing

Postby The Doctor » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 pm

From the guidelines posted up in the pledge-spun thread, even going from a conservative estimate that's really expensive. Just looking at the Entrust, if it's passing all of those that looks like
Anything Exchanged - kith/seeming (•••)
+ physical skills (+•)
+ merits (+•)
+ contracts (+•)
for a total of ••••• • before getting into anything else.

Add in
Pledge Bound (0) Vow/Oath
Pledge token (•) Oath/Corporeal
Duration Distortion (•)

and you're looking at ••••• ••• -2 pledge slots -willpower dot, or if you buy it down with soul spun, ••••• -5 pledge slots -willpower dot
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Enigmia » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:34 pm

Alright, I assume that's most of the pledge slots a character has due to 'base five'. Makes sense. Assuming this doesn't just go straight outside the limits of what a character can have as a pledge, mostly wondering what the stats needed are, so I can make any changes needed before the second character gets into anything.
Enigmia

Postby The Doctor » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Characters have Wyrd+3 Vow slots. Characters have (vaguely) unlimited Oath slots, as rather than binding the pledge on your Wyrd, you bind it on something else. Your true name, your keeper's name, etc. Oaths have an additional penalty for breaking them depending on the nature of the Oath.

As for specifics of the token, I can't really say anything about it without knowing the specifics of what's going into it.
The Doctor
Changeling

Postby Fetch » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:17 pm

So the bare minimum dots you need are:

Entrust (•••) - Kith/Seeming
Entrust (+•••) - Contracts
Entrust (+••) - Physical Skills + Specialty
Entrust (+• and/or +••) - Merits (depending which ones)

and all of this x 2 because of the traits given from Clair to her brother in exchange.

So thats about 10 dots of Entrust each way*, 20 dots total altho they can be woven as two separate pledge-spuns.

As for the other stuff you mentioned, Duration Distortion is if you want a duration other than "all the time" or "momentary." Clair's pledge seems to be "all the time." Pledge Token is for putting the magic in an item so anyone who holds the item can use it. There's no reason I know of for Clair to have done this. A basic Pledge Bound costs no dots and lets the effect be bound to specific individuals.

Each Oath woven into the pledge-spun lets you take one instance of Soul-Spun. Changelings have 3 oath slots they can dedicate (True Name, Name of their Keeper, and Upon a Higher Power°) so that would bring us to a ••••• •• (ish, +/- Merits) Pledge Spun. Three of those dots are covered by the Oath slots mentioned above meaning 4 more must be covered by standard Vow slots (of which you have Wyrd +3) and Corporals (which require you to swear on things like your Allies).

* I never made a clear decision one way or the other on additional categories of Entrust costing +1 dot or +level dots. I was hoping to see this kind of thing in play some and talking it over with people before editing in a final form. If we go with the lower version then you're only looking at 6 dots each way, as Bryce said. However, looking at the theoretical possibility of trading entire character sheets, I'm inclined to suggest the more expensive version is the way to go.

As seen above, going with the more expensive makes the Clair shift the very edge of what's reasonably possible while going whole hog with the lower costs could easily allow for all categories of Skills and Attributes to be leant with a single Pledge-spun.

° Which raises the question, what dose Clair consider to be her Higher Power. I'm guessing she's not swearing to God but ideals work, such as Truth or Love.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enigmia » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:50 pm

Yay! Thank you for helping!
Got a general definition for what a Higher Poer is?
Also, I don't know how the keeper thing would work here, tbh.
Enigmia

Postby Fetch » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:39 pm

As part of the whole kidnapping deal a changeling has the right to sear an oath upon their keeper's name. Should the changeling make the mistake of sullying said keeper's name the Fae lord immediately knows and gets bonuses to hunting and recapturing their lost toy.

As for the higher power "Regardless of what the changeling calls the Divine, he swears an oath by it and his belief in it, investing his honer with his belief." Like I said, it doesn't have to be a god but it is something the changeling holds to be sacred.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enigmia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:50 pm

But there is no Fae Lord in this case, least not at first.

I guess "There's always a choice" would be one.
Enigmia

Postby Fetch » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:02 pm

Arguably with no keeper you'd not have that oath slot available at all.

And for higher power we're talking more like the power of Love, a singular entity, not a statement of belief.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Enigmia » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Really? There's nothing that could replace it?

I guess the simplified version would be free will?
Enigmia

Next

Return to Character Development