Knocking on gates (and other stuff)

Knocking on gates (and other stuff)

Postby Fetch » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:06 pm

So, you need to touch a gate to open it but what constitutes a touch? The relevant discussion:
Capt. Hobbes wrote:I had an obnoxious idea, and I wanted to know if it was feasible:

First, let's say Hobbes takes the gate from out of the brig, attaching ropes and weights to it such that when dangled from said ropes it hangs face-up, presenting its opening to the sky. He then dumps the gate into the ocean and lets out the ropes as far as they go (using ropes long and sturdy enough to get it down to a good, high-pressure area). Then he would activate the door, probably through the use of semaphore (assume this is a well-lit portion of the ocean). Is there any reason to believe he wouldn't be able to blast through the barrier on the other side, retrieve the gate, drain the water back out of the forge, and go to abscond with the mortal side of the door?

Fetch wrote:That is definitely cleaver...

There are two potential problems. First, you have to touch the gate when asking entry. Not an insurmountable obstacle but given the pressure differential you're looking to create it could be dangerous work. Second, it's hard to say whether you've be able to get enough pressure to clear the stuff. There's allot of it, it's very heavy, and the stack as a whole is kind of porous so water could get thru between the various items without necessarily knocking them all out. Basically it would come down to a contested draw between you and Dr Brown. Probably Intelligence + Science(maybe Larceny) vs Dr Browns Strength + ?(maybe also Larceny, maybe Crafts?)

Still, it is very cleaver and at the very least should get the 'good' Dr's attention...

Capt. Hobbes wrote:Okay, we're getting somewhere here...

As for the first problem, would it count as touching the gate if I used a tool to knock on it? Maybe he ties a sinker onto another rope and drops it against the gate, or maybe even he just gives a sharp tug on the ropes holding the gate? Perhaps he could attach a bell to the door (a doorbell, if you will) and ring it from above.

As for the roll to move aside the barrier, I would think it would be a Craft check, based on how well I'm able to fashion the rope system for maximum depth and pressure, maybe subtracting whatever you think the barrier is worth as a ward. And I daresay the more gaps there are between the piled items, the more friction the water jet will purchase; it's probably not quite as good as increased pressure, but I only need to clear enough space to move the doorway. (Also, I suppose I can repeat the process as needed, eh?)
Fetch
Ring Member

Re: Knocking on gates (and other stuff)

Postby Tree Frog » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:46 am

I would assume touch=physical touch and not I-poke-it-with-a-10-foot-pole touch but that's up to you. It say anything more specific in the book?
Tree Frog

Postby Joe Oliveira » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:56 am

Raises the mildly awkward question of 'what happens if I knock while wearing gloves?'

I'd be inclined to say that the point of touching the gate is to impart your own Glamour into the gate while opening it. So a regular ten-foot pole wouldn't be able to do it, while the thin barrier of gloves wouldn't be enough to prevent the transmission of Glamour.

Now, if we want to postulate the existence of a special Hedgespun pole that conducts Glamour to the target, then things get interesting; I'd say that suffices for knocking. Admittedly, this all arises out of my own sciency inclinations, and may be too rationalist for Changeling.

Side note: Hobbes' plan itself sounds solid, but it depends on how deep and large the gate is on the Hedge side. Water pressure builds rapidly, and the idea of just opening a hole down there for water to flow into is scary--it'd create an effect similar to a firehose, except much bigger. I'd say that almost certainly will blast most barriers out of the way.

The barrier consists of a bunch of junk piled in front of the gate, yes? In that case, I'd say Doctor Brown's dice pool was a retroactive Strength+Resolve, based on how long he could force himself to focus on piling stuff up instead of playing with Leif, or whatever else he does for fun. Depending on the depth, I'd give Hobbes an equipment bonus to his pool.
Joe Oliveira
Player

Postby Fetch » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:59 am

I'm also of the "10 foot poles don't work" mentality but just wanted to see what others thought before responding...

The pile isn't just allot of junk. It's allot of really heavy junk made of iron and steel...
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Fetch » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:18 am

Micha is suggesting the idea that Becky the Ship herself could knock on the door while it's deep below. Normally I'd just say that a hollow can't do such stuff, being a location, but Becky dose have allot of amenities(3) and whatnot being something of a very nice hedgeship. I figure Hobbs would still be spending the glamor but that one of Becky's features might let him transmit it via tentacle to the door.

So thoughts/yes/no?
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Tree Frog » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:24 am

I'm cool with it.

Just had a thought, can Becky shove some tentacles through the open doorway and help try to push some of the blockage out of the way? Becky is somewhat of a sentient hobgob-type hollow (like Zephy) is it not? Or else who controls the tentacles?!
Tree Frog

Postby Fetch » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:31 am

Maybe? It kinda depends on how strong we assume Becky is. She's got Amenities 3, Wards 4, and Armory 3. For the most part she's equipment so she's assistance to the tests of others. So far as that goes it seems like having the hollow be alive/capable of action in it's own right would be another merit, possibly Hollow Retainer or Retainer Hollow.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Fetch » Tue May 04, 2010 10:19 am

So I'm thinking Dr Brown wants to be able to get to the door and use his forge so give him 4 draws(an hour?) of lifting and moving on his Strength(6) + Resolve(4) to close the door.
2 > 12 > 2
2 > 12 > 2
2 > 12 > 2
13 > 23 > 4
total > 10
Fetch
Ring Member

Return to CdP Rules Calls