Multiple Character XP Problems

Multiple Character XP Problems

Postby The Dragon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:41 pm

Right now, there might be problems with multiple characters and maybe a slight issue if, what happens if the person earning the most suddenly loses their character and has to build a new one? Would they get accelerated XP?

Is there any ruling on this?
The Dragon

Re: Multiple Character XP Problems

Postby Fetch » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:03 pm

I'll take the exp out of both their spent and earned columns. This will throw them back into accelerated unless the character has very little exp on it.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Dragon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:52 pm

So like for Brian, let's say he loses Jet. We will deduct the XP that was put into Jet, knocking him down so that his new character can get accelerated? Let's say he goes from 150 to 70. This way he isn't in the top bracket.

As for multiple characters, how much XP are they getting? I know you hate XP but it matters in that, new players can outstrip the older more established players within a year and that the players with multiple characters will be behind.
The Dragon

Postby Fetch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:13 am

Your question is somewhat unclear as to what you would like to know. Right now most people have somewhat even exp on each of their characters. The exception I can think of off the top of my head is Bryce who has allot of exp on Brown and only 50-75 on Arg and obviously Brian who just made his brand new goat.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Dragon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:20 am

Mostly for Flipper who is running three characters and might be unable to keep up with the new people.
The Dragon

Postby Fetch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 am

It's her choice to have three characters. If she wants to keep up with singletons she can decide to give all her exp to one character. This dose not seem to be a concern for her at this time.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Dragon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:45 am

But she is not going to be able to keep up, even if she does drop all her characters except one. She does play them all wonderfully, unlike other people who uses double characters to further their own goals.
The Dragon

Postby Fetch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:43 am

To turn it back, if I'm playing one character, one character who is never unavailable because I'm off playing someone else, why should someone who splits their time and exp between three characters be able to keep up? When I need their character A there's only a limited chance their playing them at the time. If I want to move into a new specialty, say Oneiromancy, I need to spend allot of time and exp developing that area on my character. This other person simply made a new character with the specialty and plays that character whenever they want to deal with it.

In our specific case, Bryce and Flipper could have kept with their original decision that Dr Brown and Beth were off with TFV and had only Renee and Arg or they could have brought those old characters to Bellingham and had Renee and Arg continue wandering rather than following the circus to Bellingham. They chose to have two characters each, to split their time. There was the rule that you could only earn exp on one character per session to prevent too much multiing. That was loosened to only earn exp on one character in each category. Accelerates however ended up making it so that one could keep two characters in the top bracket of exp, not at all the intent of accelerated. Accelerated exp was meant to help newbs and second characters catch up to the old guards PC's, not let the old guard double their in game presence with multiple PC's each, all of whom are in or near the top bracket.

When using exp at all accelerated is a problem. Without it you can wind up with a distinct stratification in which the oldest characters are highly powerful and difficult for newbs to challenge. With it characters become disposable and newbs can quickly pass the characters that should be their mentors and teachers because more exp means less time for random things to get in the way of an optimal build.
I'm hoping that player exp will help to address this by finding a middle ground between the two problems. You can still catch up but if you treat your characters as disposable and keep making new ones you'll be splitting your exp many different ways.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Tree Frog » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:58 pm

The Dragon wrote:But she is not going to be able to keep up, even if she does drop all her characters except one. She does play them all wonderfully, unlike other people who uses double characters to further their own goals.

Why would she not be able to keep up with one character..? If she is not able to keep up with one character, then no one is.

On a somewhat off-topic, I do see a problem with her having so many characters - namely, she has to split her time between them all, and so it's very difficult for her to finish things. One good example being the rp threads online, it is problematic for people trying to get in touch with her because she's so busy. Which is problematic for roleplay purposes of other players. I'd say 2 characters is probably the optimal limit of multi-charring.
Tree Frog

Return to CdP Rules Calls