Charalatin

Charalatin

Postby The Dragon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:47 pm

From what I've been reading from Autumn Nightmares, apparently Charalatins can't go into the hedge. What are we going to do with John's character?
The Dragon

Re: Charalatin

Postby Fetch » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:22 pm

*shrug*
Leave him as is? It's been forever and I always view the rules for any "you'll never meet more than one" antagonist to be pure hand-wave anyway.

Also you'll note that in the core book no mention is made of being in any mechanical way to distinguish a banished Fae from a changeling save that Fae apparently don't have Seemings. On the other end of the published spectrum Equinox Road, which both completely changes the way True Fae work and is the definitive book on the subject, has this to say about Charlatans: "There’s no hard and fast rule for these transformations." At the point a Fae is getting lost on earth it's really just a plot device.

edit: If people do want to pull him in line with the Charlatan rules from Autumn Nightmares tho we could go with a "s/he's been slowly draining fae power all this time, now you can't get into the hedge." I would want John's permission for it but I'm not opposed to the hand-wavy change.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby The Dragon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Okay, so for now with John it's more of, we can ask John if he's okay with it. Also, they can't use contracts, only get the catch, unless they are taught about contracts? I'm pretty sure innately they can't use contracts.

But for future references, we'll stick to the book rules? I'll like that, and I'd like to handle that since I will be playing a charalan in Byrce's game. GO FWOOOSH.
The Dragon

Postby Fetch » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:20 am

Book rules (core book and Equinox Road) let Charlatans use Contracts and the Hedge normally. Book rules take away their Immortal Flesh and Ruled by Passion traits. What you're asking is that we use one book that contradicts two others. I'm not against using that book but all the rules they give to those kinds of antagonists are generally more suggestion than hard fact.

It's kind of funny to watch you all slowly reading up thru the line. You're all so amazed at how things "actually work" that I can't help but wonder what you'll all be thinking when you get to the next book with it's completely different take on how things "actually work." Equinox Road, for example, completely removes the earthly time limit for Fae. It's just gone. Likewise in the Core I don't remember it giving any such limit to the sample Fae, the Huntsman.
Fetch
Ring Member

Postby Jayne » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:38 am

This is going to horribly isn't it? D:

Oh dear. I can still see what I can manage, and piece together. HOpefully.
Jayne

Return to CdP Rules Calls